Galvanize Launches GalvanizeU with Accredited Master's Program in the field of ... - PR Web (press release)

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 10/23/2014 - 15:33

SAN FRANCISCO, CA. (PRWEB) October 23, 2014

Galvanize today announces the expansion of its educational programming with the launch of GalvanizeU, offering a new accredited master’s degree program designed to address the demand for industry-ready data scientists. Galvanize has partnered with the University of New Haven to offer a 12-month Master of Engineering in Big Data beginning in January 2015 in the San Francisco Bay Area. The application period for the first class will open on October 29th, 2014. Prospective students can apply at GalvanizeU.com.

Two years ago, Galvanize became a leader in competency based learning with the creation of gSchool -- a six-month, comprehensive learn-to-code program producing ready-to-code programmers. Today, Galvanize is furthering its commitment to creating the education institution of the future as the first “code school” to create a fully accredited master’s degree program.

“We have spent the last two years creating a community where working and learning are in a single context - the urban campuses of Galvanize,” says Jim Deters, CEO Galvanize, Inc. “The Galvanize campus consists of entrepreneurs, industry leading companies, venture capitalists, gSchool students, and now GalvanizeU data scientists creating the most unique and industry-aligned education environment.”

The GalvanizeU master’s degree program will provide students with the skills they need to become world-class data scientists, and the Galvanize community will give students unprecedented access to hands-on skills, mentors and employers. The curriculum is an accelerated one year program requiring the students to complete 30 credits hours covering statistics, machine learning, computer science, practical coding abilities, and real world projects with industry partners.

Authorities in California and Connecticut have approved the program, Degrees are granted through the University of New Haven, and courses are delivered by faculty appointed by the University.

“The GalvanizeU curriculum is focused on outcomes,” said University of New Haven President Steven H. Kaplan. “Students who complete the program will acquire both knowledge and hands-on experience, an exceptional value in today’s business world.”

"The University of New Haven is committed to providing the highest-quality education through collaborative and discovery-based learning. Our partnership with Galvanize makes it possible for us to offer relevant, hands-on experience and extend our leadership into the highest growth technical sectors of the economy,” added Daniel May, University of New Haven provost and senior vice president for academic affairs.

The master's degree program is targeting recent graduates from engineering, mathematics, computer science, and other technical disciplines, as well as professionals looking to expand their skill set and their career paths. The program will prepare graduates for leadership positions in data-centric businesses by integrating the hiring needs of employers into the curriculum and learning experiences.

“IBM estimates that 90 percent of the world’s data was created in the last two years, commented Robert Scoble , Author of Age of Context and Startup Liaison Officer at Rackspace. “Given the massive increase in availability of data, we unfortunately don't have enough people with the skills and expertise to make productive use of it. GalvanizeU is primed to solve this problem."

“There is a huge demand for Data Scientists with skills and experience.” says Steve Allan, Head of Analytics and managing director of Silicon Valley Bank, “Programs that integrate industry experience with theoretical application, such as the GalvanizeU master's program, will provide students with the right mix of practical and hands-on education that companies are actively seeking.”

The program’s education model features:

● Interactive classroom time with expert faculty;

● Mentor-driven teaching from industry practitioners;

● Opportunities to shadow practicing faculty mentors as they tackle real-world data science projects from the Galvanize Community;

● Lab hours, when students can flex their coding muscles building data-science products and machine-learning algorithms

● Applied learning during supervised internships, and capstone projects;

More information about the GalvanizeU program is available at galvanizeU.com.

About Galvanize:

Galvanize is a community of urban campuses for digital innovators and entrepreneurs that aligns work and learning by combining education, experience, and industry under one roof. Since launching its first campus in Denver, CO in October 2012, Galvanize has expanded to San Francisco, California, and Boulder, Colorado, with more campuses scheduled to open throughout the U.S. in 2014 and 2015. Each campus offers training and education opportunities, tech-focused events and a variety of workspace options. To learn more about Galvanize and membership, visit http://www.galvanize.it.

About the University of New Haven:

The University of New Haven is a private, top-tier comprehensive institution recognized as a national leader in experiential education. Founded in 1920 on the campus of Yale University in cooperation with Northeastern University, the University of New Haven moved to its current West Haven campus in 1960. The University operates a satellite campus in Tuscany, Italy, and offers programs at several locations throughout Connecticut and in New Mexico. The University of New Haven is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC). http://www.newhaven.edu.

Contact:

Charisse Bowen

Executive Director, GalvanizeU

970-775-0179

charisse(at)galvanize(dot)it

Mike Tamir Ph.D.

Chief Science Officer, Head of GalvanizeU

(412) 596-4860

mtamir(at)galvanize(dot)it

Karen Grava

University of New Haven

Director of Media Relations

203-932-7246

203-752-8895 cell