Government's border investments pay dividends with seizure of 65kg of methamphetamine

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 11/06/2014 - 15:19

Thursday, 06 November 2014

The government's increased investment in border screening has paid more dividends with the announcement today that sixty-five kilograms of methamphetamine has been stopped from reaching our streets, following the excellent work of our Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS) and Australian Federal Police, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison said today.

'Following the election the government invested an additional $88 million in border screening through the ACBPS. These investments put more resources into intelligence gathering and analysis and cargo screening at our ports,' Minister Morrison said.

'In the first quarter of this financial year the government screened 1700 more sea containers than in the same period last year under the former Labor Government. There has also been a 30 per cent increase in the screening of air cargo consignments and half a million additional international post items have been checked.

'Today's seizure, drawing on the outstanding work of our border and law enforcement agencies, demonstrates that investing in stronger border protection delivers tangible benefits for our local communities.

'I commend the ACBPS and AFP officers for their great work on this latest seizure.

'Not only has this seizure prevented 65kg of methamphetamine reaching our streets, it has demonstrated the resolve of the government to disrupt and destroy the smuggling networks of organised criminals, by giving our border agencies the resources and support they need to do the job we ask them to do.

'Border protection is not just about stopping the boats, it's about stopping the drugs and the gangs that threaten the very fabric of our communities.

'This seizure was the result of Customs and Border Protection officers in Sydney targeting a sea container for x-ray last month. During the x-ray, the officers noted anomalies consistent with an elaborate concealment and decided to further investigate.

'The container was found to have 15 wooden crates, each with a number of flat-packed chipboard panels. Inside the officers uncovered approximately 65kg of white powder, identified as methamphetamine, secreted inside the panels.

'Last financial year border protection officers prevented around four tonnes of drugs and precursors from reaching Australia's streets, while continuing to work closely with state and federal law enforcement partners.

'The Coalition Government has brought the focus on border protection back to where it should be – at the centre of Government priorities and is ensuring this focus is backed with increased resources and funding our agencies need to protect us from the scourges of organized criminals,' Minister Morrison said.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm218951.htm
Last update: Thursday, 06 November 2014 at 14:19 AEST