Işık University Graduate Summer Program Offers Immersive Study of Middle East in Istanbul

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 12/01/2014 - 10:12

Istanbul, Turkey (PRWEB) December 01, 2014

Next summer, Isik University will offer a summer study course that will allow international students to discover the politics, culture, economy and society of the Middle East in a city that has for many millennia built cultural bridges between the East and West. For 4 weeks, students will be immersed in study of the Middle East, the birthplace of many important civilizations and the setting of recent political changes.

The program aims to look at the long-term social, economic, and political drivers of change in the region, and to analyze the political and cultural continuities underway across the Middle East.

The Middle East program is taught by academics that are experts in their areas of interest. The course includes a variety of topics including the Arab Spring, petro-politics, women’s move-ments, and Islamic activism.

During this program, students will deepen their understanding of Turkey and heritage of the Ottoman Empire with several daylong trips to major historical sites. The program also includes an op-tional elementary Turkish language class to all participants.

This exclusive program is designed for International and Turkish graduate students and to all participants who hold a bachelor degree.

Işık University has an international student profile and promotes multiculturalism across campus. The university is located at Sile, a suburb of Istanbul at the Black Sea Coast that provides students with opportunities for various outdoor activities such as hiking, trekking, cycling, and beach-volleyball.

About The Program: Change and Continuity in the Middle East (MA)

4+2 credits (6+3 ECTS) –Excluding or including Turkish classes

4 week program

29 June - 25 July 2015

Application deadline: June 1, 2015

Program Fee: US$2,800

Early application: US$2,400 (April 30, 2015)

Course Definition

The purpose of this class is to introduce students to the politics of the Middle East in an international context. The course will explore the dynamics of Middle East politics, the challenges that the Middle East faces, and the potential for political opening particularly since the “Arab Spring.”

Modules of Study

WEEK 1: Setting up the Stage

Historical Background –Emergence of the Modern Middle Eastern States - Perceptions of the Middle East in the West – Orientalism.

WEEK 2: Politics

Nationhood and Ethnicity - Political Participation and Democracy - Political Islam – Civil & Military Relations - Arab Spring - Israel, the Arab World and the Palestinians – Turkey and the Middle East.

WEEK 3: Economy

Oil: Curse or Blessing- The Rentier State, Development, Statism, Islamic Banking and Finance.

WEEK 4: Society

Women and Gender - Art and Architecture - Ottoman Art in the Middle East - Cinema.

About Işık University

Işık University is a private university located in Istanbul, Turkey. Işık University offers English language programs for a range of levels, from high school students to graduate students. Operat-ing from two campuses, in Maslak and in Sile, Isik University provides regular calendar year as well as summer programs. The university is a part of the Feyziye Schools Foundation, which was established in 1885.

For more information about Işık University, please visit isikun.edu.tr.