Minister Kenney issues statement to mark the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Fri, 03/21/2014 - 16:01

Subscribe

Ottawa, March 21, 2014 — The Honourable Jason Kenney, Minister for Multiculturalism, issued the following statement to recognize the International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination:

“The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is a day observed in like-minded countries around the world to reaffirm our shared commitment to combatting racism.

“Canadians are rightly proud of our country’s successful pluralism, fostering a society where all citizens, regardless of ethnicity, faith, or country of origin, have a place.

“Our government continues to be actively engaged in efforts to fight discrimination both at home and abroad.

“Throughout the past year, Canada maintained our status as a world leader in the global fight against anti-Semitism as the Chair of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA). Our government will continue to work closely with the IHRA to promote Holocaust education, remembrance and research.

“Moreover, Canada’s Office of Religious Freedom continues to advocate for the rights of persecuted religious communities around the world.

“As Minister for Multiculturalism, I encourage all Canadians to take a moment on this day to reflect on the importance of our country’s values of freedom, democracy, human rights and the rule of law.”

For further information (media only), please contact:

Alexandra Fortier

Minister’s Office

819-994-2482

Media Relations

Communications Branch

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

613-952-1650
CIC-Media-Relations@cic.gc.ca

Building a stronger Canada: Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) strengthens Canada’s economic, social and cultural prosperity, helping ensure Canadian safety and security while managing one of the largest and most generous immigration programs in the world.