New report reveals the people of Australia

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 06/26/2014 - 01:00

Thursday, 26 June 2014

A new report compiling data from the 2011 Census provides a key statistical picture of our population and the make-up of our migrant communities, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison said today.

The People of Australia report, based on Australian Bureau of Statistics data collated by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, is a snapshot of a modern nation attracting people from around the world including increased migration from Asia.

Comparing 2006 and 2011 census data, the report provides profiles of our existing migrant pool.

'We are a wonderfully successful and cohesive modern immigrant nation that has welcomed those from across the world to become part of the Australian story,' Minister Morrison said.

Statistics include the education, employment and income of migrants by birthplace, religion and language.

Key statistics of The People of Australia report reveal:

'The report will assist governments and other agencies to respond to the challenges of providing services in a diverse cultural environment, including identification of sectors most in need of English language services,' Minister Morrison said.

'It should be a source of great pride to all Australians that we have been able to unite from all parts of the world in a modern, cohesive and successful nation.

'This snapshot shows how far we have come and to shape the way that we manage our challenges now and into the near future,' Minister Morrison said.

The People of Australia report is available on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website.
See: DIBP Statistical Publications

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm215811.htm
Last update: Thursday, 26 June 2014 at 11:05 AEST