Operation Sovereign Borders September update

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/01/2014 - 18:34

Wednesday, 01 October 2014

The September update for Operation Sovereign Borders reveals another month has passed without a successful people smuggling venture to Australia, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison said today.

'Eight of nine months in 2014 have passed without a successful people smuggling venture to Australia as the government's policies under Operation Sovereign Borders continue to sustainably deter illegal boat arrivals,' Minister Morrison said.

'Just one venture arrived successfully this year with all persons on board transferred to Nauru whereas under the former Labor Government in the year preceding Operation Sovereign Borders 401 illegal boats arrived with 26 543 people on board.

'Despite increasingly shrill opposition from Labor and the Greens the Coalition Government is getting on with the job of resolving the legacy of the previous Labor Government's failed border protection policies.

'The Government's efforts to resolve the caseload of 30 000 illegal arrivals continue with the introduction of legislation to the Parliament last week that seeks to restore Temporary Protection Visas after they were foolishly abolished by Labor and the Greens.

'The government will not be providing a pathway to permanent protection visas for illegal boat arrivals.

'Last week the government signed a Refugee Settlement Arrangement with the government of the Kingdom of Cambodia which will enable people assessed as refugees on Nauru to be voluntarily settled in Cambodia.

'Labor had made no arrangements for permanent settlement of people assessed as refugees on Nauru, just as their resettlement arrangement with Papua New Guinea was a blank page.

'Late last month installation was completed of the first of two new reverse osmosis units at Nauru increasing the country's daily water production capability.

'Installation of an additional unit is expected to be completed in the coming weeks.

'This initiative will ensure water security for the offshore processing centres, post-assessment facilities and broader Nauruan population.

'The government is meeting its election commitments on border protection and will not be deterred from our policies including offshore processing despite calls from advocates and others who want to see a return to the failed policies of the past.

'The government is stopping illegal boat arrivals, preventing deaths at sea and saving taxpayers billions of dollars,' Minister Morrison said.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm218267.htm
Last update: Wednesday, 01 October 2014 at 17:34 AEST