Robust agreement defines police roles for Immigration detention facilities in NSW

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 10/09/2014 - 14:55

Thursday, 09 October 2014

After years of inaction by the previous government, Minister for Immigration and Border Protection, the Hon Scott Morrison today congratulated the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and New South Wales Police Force (NSWPF) for reaching a robust agreement defining police roles for incidents at immigration detention facilities in NSW.

The Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed in Sydney today and Minister Morrison said it outlines clear protocols should a police presence be required at a NSW immigration detention facility.

'To maintain order at the immigration detention facilities in the State under the MoU the NSWPF will respond to extraordinary and coronial incidents, and investigate NSW statutory offences. The AFP will respond to routine incidents.

'Thirteen years after it was first proposed this agreement will bolster the existing strong relationship between the department, AFP and NSWPF in managing police issues at detention facilities,' Minister Morrison said.

'It has been a key priority for this government to ensure policing MoUs are finalised in every state and territory, and I am proud that today's agreement is the fifth signed under the Abbott government. Negotiations are ongoing with Queensland Police.

'The previous government neglected to act after Villawood IDC burned to the ground in 2011. Policing roles were not clear and despite the Hawke-Williams report recommending that these agreements be established as a priority Labor never signed an MOU in this State,' Minister Morrison said.

The MOU signed today will operate for a period of two years.

See: Index of Media Releases

URL:http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/sm/2014/sm218451.htm
Last update: Thursday, 09 October 2014 at 13:55 AEST