Two new Deputy Vice-Chancellors for University Of Sydney

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 04/02/2014 - 22:11

Two of Australia's most experienced higher education professionals have been appointed to deputy vice-chancellor roles at the University of Sydney, continuing the institution's commitment to world-class education and student experience.

Professor Philippa (Pip) Pattison, currently Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at the University of Melbourne, will join Sydney as Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education), while Professor Tyrone Carlin, currently Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education Operations) at the University of Sydney and Co-Dean of the University of Sydney Business School, will take up the new role of Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Registrar).

"As part of the University's Strategic Plan 2011-15, we have already seen fantastic progress in areas such as social inclusion, Indigenous participation and curriculum reform. These new appointments will lead major changes in areas including e-learning, student feedback, and student wellbeing support," said Dr Michael Spence, Vice-Chancellor of the University of Sydney.

"I am delighted that we have been able to make such fine appointments from an especially strong field. I am confident that under the leadership and guidance of these fine academics, we will also be able to better coordinate education functions across the University, and realise our vision for education and the quality of our students' experience," he said.

The two new roles follow a restructure arising from a review of the previous Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) and Registrar Portfolio. The new Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education) will oversee educational quality, strategy and vision, while the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Registrar) will take responsibility for student experience and operations, including admissions, recruitment, and enrolment.

Professor Pattison has been Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) at the University of Melbourne since 2011. A quantitative psychologist by background, she began her academic career at Melbourne, and has previously served as president of Melbourne's Academic Board. She has been responsible for the implementation of the Melbourne Curriculum, as well as leadership of Melbourne's learning and teaching strategy, including e-learning strategies and related policy developments.

"As Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Education), Pip will lead our strategy and vision for teaching and learning and our students' educational experience," Dr Spence said.

"She will build on the University-wide approach to curriculum renewal we have commenced under the strategic plan, and develop ways to promote new thinking in pedagogy across the University. Reflecting the importance we place on teaching, she will oversee institution-wide development of better support for student learning. Her team will, inter alia, also focus on learning and teaching analytics, e-learning and quality assurance.

"I am delighted that Pip has decided to join us and anticipate that she will commence in late May or early June," he said.

Professor Tyrone Carlin is currently Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education Operations) at the University of Sydney, a position he has held since 2012. He has also served as Co-Dean of the Business School since 2013. Prior to joining the University of Sydney, Professor Carlin held a variety of senior academic appointments, including dean of law at Macquarie University and director of academic programs at Macquarie Graduate School of Management.

"Professor Carlin will begin his new role as Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Registrar) immediately, and will be responsible for how we manage and develop each student's relationship with the University, from their first enquiry to their graduation. Building on his work as Pro-Vice-Chancellor, he will be responsible for student recruitment and induction, orientation and mentoring," Dr Spence said.

"He will also oversee the management and development of student support services, facilitate co-curricular activities and liaison with student organisations and the residential colleges, and be responsible for the review and development of the University's provision of services for student health, wellbeing and welfare. Other areas of responsibility will include reviewing and improving support for international students, building international exchange opportunities, and progressing work relating to student accommodation and informal learning spaces.

"I look forward to working with Professors Pattison and Carlin to build on the progress we have already made towards the goals in our strategic plan that relate to the quality of our educational and student experience, especially through opening new pathways to the University for all students of promise," Dr Spence concluded.

Media enquiries: Kirsten Andrews, 02 9114 0748, 0413 777 404, kirsten.andrews@sydney.edu.au