University Hosts App Contest for Students - U.S. News University

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Wed, 10/01/2014 - 12:13

As apps become a larger part of personal and academic life, students at South Dakota State University (SDSU) have a chance to show off those they've created and compete for $5,000. SDSU recently announced the contest, which starts April 1, 2015.

The competition is also open to students enrolled in one of South Dakota's other state schools.  All participants can submit an independently developed app to "show their technical, entrepreneurial, and innovative skills," SDSU explains. Those who want to participate must complete the application April 1, either by themselves or as part of a team, and cannot be on multiple teams.

The submissions must be original, prove no copyright infringement, not be vulgar or obscene, only use SDSU facilities and trademarks with permission, and have a statement of purpose explaining the use and audience of the app. The submitted program will be judged based on the quality of the idea, design and performance, and effectiveness. Come April 17, the winner will be announced.

A Growing Industry 

SDSU is giving students a chance to show off their own inventions for a chance at $5,000. Although this handsome sum may be significant for cash-strapped students, it's a drop in the bucket compared to the actual value of successful app.

In 2013, The Wall Street Journal reported that global app revenue would climb to more than $25 billion - 62% growth over 2012. Using a report from Gartner Inc., the Journal explained that since the app market emerged in 2007, it has steadily grown with both Apple and Google offering hundreds of thousands of apps for download.

The market is only expected to keep growing as the number of apps, devices people use these programs on and time spent on apps all increase. The Journal also points out that it's not just America that contributes to massive app revenue.  China, Japan and South Korea consume these games, social media and other applications in large numbers as well.

Academic Apps 

Among the hundreds of thousands of apps available, some can directly benefits students and professors with their research. One of the best apps for students and academic researchers, according to online magazine MacLife, is Notability.  This app allows users to digitally create and store handwritten notes, and record the audio of lectures or academic interviews. 

There's also Papers, which MacLife refers to as the iTunes of PDF storage, Scanner Pro, which makes scanning documents for research incredibly simple, and MindNote which allows people to map out their thoughts and ideas - a potentially useful tool for organizing a large project or thesis.