CET4 sample essay - CET4 exam essay writing on June 1996 : Global Shortage of Fresh Water

Directions: For this part, you are allowed thirty minutes to write a composition on the topic Global Shortage of Fresh Water. You should write at least 100 words and you should base your composition on the outline (given in Chinese) below:

1. People believe that fresh water will never be used up
2. The earth is short of fresh water
3. What should we do

Sample essay:

Many people believe that the world’s supply of fresh water will never be used up. They think that fresh water comes from such a variety of sources that it is always sufficient for use. Such an opinion leads to a shocking waste of water.

As a matter of fact, the earth is short of fresh water. Furthermore, with the rapid growth of the world’s population, the rising demand for water by industry, and the serious pollution of our surroundings, the world is facing the danger of running out of fresh water. Actually, in some big cities, fresh water cannot meet the daily needs.

Therefore, to find new ways to save water is an urgent task. First, we should pass strict laws to control any waste of water. Second, scientists must work even harder to purify sea water and polluted water, and try to find substitutes to reduce the use of fresh water.