TPO 20 - Question 5

Speaking topics in text

TPO 20 - Question 5

Speaking category

A sample Answer to this speaking in text:

In the dialogue, Professor Green, who has been supervising the woman in her research paper, was invited to go to France next year. But the woman still has a lot of work to do. There are two solutions for the woman. She can work with another professor instead, who is also very famous; or she can keep in touch with Professor Green through Email. I think the second option is better. Since Professor Green has guided her through all those time, he is most familiar with her work. This is something working with another professor cannot compete. And current modern technology has made communications so much easier. The woman will have to work on her own from time to time, but she will conduct independent research. That is valuable experience for a student.

1. Are you still working in Professor Green's laboratory?
2. Yeah, he's been supervising my research on eating behavior in mice.
3. Sounds interesting.
4. It's fascinating.
5. I've got a few more observations and experiments to do.
6. It's another three months of work and then I will start writing my paper.
7. Whoa, sounds like it will be a great paper.
8. Thanks, I hope so.
9. There is a problem though.
10. What?
11. Professor Green's been invited to teach at a university in France for a semester and obviously I still need a lot of help with the project.
12. What are you going to do?
13. Well, Professor Green suggested Professor Baker that I could work with another.
14. Oh, I've heard of her.
15. Professor Baker is quite famous.
16. Yeah, but I don't know her at all and my research isn't in her area of expertise.
17. She works with fish, my work ‘s on mice, not exactly the best match.
18. Well, you get to know her eventually and she's a great biologist so she's still be able to help you even if your topic isn't exactly her specialty.
19. She may give you some new perspective on your work.
20. I know, I am considering, but still I am thinking about asking professor Green if he could agree to advise me long distance.
21. That's a though.
22. You think he will do it?
23. He probably would but I don't know if it's a good idea.
24. I mean he could always look at my data and read my write-ups through my E-mail.
25. But the thing is he wouldn't be here to supervise my experiments.
26. Yeah, well I am sure you'll figure out the best thing to do.