ESL Program at American National University Receives Accreditation

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/24/2014 - 17:01

Salem, VA (PRWEB) April 24, 2014

The Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), has granted accreditation to the English Language Institute’s ESL (English as a Second Language) Program at the Roanoke Valley Campus of American National University.

The CEA is recognized by the U.S. secretary of education as a national accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the United States. The mission of the CEA is to promote excellence in the field of English language teaching and administration through accreditation of the English language programs and institutions worldwide. The CEA achieves its mission by using widely held standards to foster continuous program development through a rigorous process of regular self-assessment and peer evaluation.

“Reaching accreditation status represents hundreds of hours of work by more than a dozen people,” said Eric Rothgery, PhD, director of the English Language Institute of American National University. “We are now one of only five schools to have won accreditation from the gold-standard accrediting agency CEA out of approximately 25 colleges and universities that offer ESL in Virginia.”

“Students have always identified our teachers and our staff as strengths in our program but our students are the real winners. I see our new CEA accreditation not as a destination, but only the beginning,” continued Rothgery. “It means that we are now members of an elite guild and now must make the latest trends in the field and the cutting-edge best practices that go with that a part of our every day. We have the faculty and staff to accomplish this.”

Founded in 1886, American National University and National College are dedicated to the training and education of men and women for a full life and a successful career in a number of fields in business, information technology, and health care. The affiliated institutions offer more than 45 academic programs including a master of business administration, numerous degree and diploma programs, English as a Second Language, and corporate training. Serving 31 communities through campus locations in Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana, American National and National College currently serve approximately 7,000 students annually.