TESOL and National Geographic Learning Announce 2015 TESOL Teacher of the Year

Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 01/27/2015 - 19:34

Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) January 27, 2015

TESOL International Association and National Geographic Learning are pleased to announce that Sherry Blok of Montreal, Quebec, Canada, will receive the 2015 TESOL Teacher of the Year Award. The award honors exceptional English language teachers at all levels. Blok will be recognized at the opening session of the 2015 TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Blok is a university lecturer working with adult ESL learners at Concordia University in Montreal. When asked about what motivates her to teach, Blok noted that it was her experience as a child of immigrants, as a language learner, and her first job working for a Canadian tourism bureau that fueled her interest in bridging cultural and language divides through education. These early experiences pushed her to get her master’s degree in second language education at McGill University, which launched her 18-year career at Concordia University. “I’ve always been driven by my desire to learn languages and my interest in multiculturalism,” she said.

The recipient of the TESOL Teacher of the Year Award receives a one-year membership in TESOL International Association; a selection of TESOL publications valued at US$250; complimentary registration, travel, and accommodations for the 2015 TESOL International Convention & English Language Expo, and a cash award of US$1000. The award recipient will also deliver a presentation at the TESOL International Convention.

National Geographic Learning will present the award to Blok at the TESOL international convention, where she will deliver a presentation titled “Global Citizenship: Transformative Practices in ELT Excellence.” Her presentation will discuss the ways that global citizenship education is applicable in the ESL classroom.

For more on Sherry Blok, check out the Teacher of Year feature in the January issue of TESOL Connections.

About TESOL International Association

Founded in 1966, TESOL International Association is a professional community of educators, researchers, administrators, and students committed to advancing excellence in English language teaching for speakers of other languages worldwide. With more than 13,000 members representing over 150 countries, TESOL fosters the exchange of ideas, research, and peer-to-peer knowledge, and provides expertise, resources, and a powerful voice on issues affecting the profession. Through professional development programs, its international conference, special interest groups, and publications, TESOL engages tens of thousands of professionals to collaborate globally and create a world of opportunity for millions of people of all ages who want to learn English. For more information, please visit http://www.tesol.org.

About Cengage Learning and National Geographic Learning

Cengage Learning is a leading educational content, software, and services company, empowering educators and driving learner engagement through personalized services and course-driven digital solutions that bridge from the library to the classroom. National Geographic Learning, part of Cengage Learning, currently publishes for English Language Teaching, reading and writing, science, social studies, and content literacy, for customers in PreK–12, higher education and adult education. At National Geographic Learning, we feel a strong responsibility to future generations to provide strong educational skills and an awareness of their role as caretakers of the planet. We are committed to building great learning programs that help learners and teachers to achieve personal success and to be better citizens of the 21st century. For more information, visit NGL.Cengage.com.

Article references
www.prweb.com