1.The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette."On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents invo

1. The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette.

"On Balmer Island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of accidents involving mopeds and pedestrians, the town council of Balmer Island should limit the number of mopeds rented by the island's moped rental companies from 50 per day to 25 per day during the summer season. By limiting the number of rentals, the town council will attain the 50 percent annual reduction in moped accidents that was achieved last year on the neighboring island of Seaville, when Seaville's town council enforced similar limits on moped rentals."
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation is likely to have the predicted result. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

Here speaker trying to impart that by limiting the number of moped rented per day, council will able take down the rate of accident in summer, but only this idea will not serve the purpose so better council implement limit on moped rental up to some extent after doing survey and introduce new traffic rules with speed limit.

The writer wants to put restriction on rental base moped use to reduce the accident. But only by reducing rental of moped, it doesn’t give assurance of less accident. Because apart from population of moped, accident also depends on the way people do drive, whether they follow traffic rules very strictly or not.

The traffic authority should implement new rules during summer period, also they can arrange traffic awareness programmes for people who usually take moped on rental base. Traffic authority can separate out different area of city in different zone based on traffic intensity and number of moped users followed by specific speed limit in that particular area. Second traffic authority can implement basic eligibility criteria that every moped rental companies have to follow. So while giving moped on rent rental company has to check whether customer is eligible or permitted to drive or not.

Writer giving example of neighbour island that they were able to made reduction in moped accident last year by enforcing similar limit on moped rental. But it could be possible that with limit on rental also they have introduced some traffic rules. In addition one cannot compare the state of mind mentality of people staying on different island, may be the people staying on neighbour island are not that much educated and not much aware of traffic rules so authority took decision to put limit on moped rental.

In sum as writer says to put limit on moped rental, only by enforcing this law it’s difficult to get control over accident. Authority has to think from all corners along with this idea. So town council can put limit up to some extent not very high and parallel also think for new traffic rules and zoning of island followed by speed limit.

argument 2 -- not OK. This is the way for issue essays.