Analyze an argumentThe following appreared in ma memorandum from the owner of the Juniper Cafe, a small, local offe shop in the downtown area of a small american city:"We must reduce overhead here at the cafe. Instead of opening at 6 a.m. weekdays, we wil

Analyze an argument

The following appreared in ma memorandum from the owner of the Juniper Cafe, a small, local offe shop in the downtown area of a small american city:

"We must reduce overhead here at the cafe. Instead of opening at 6 a.m. weekdays, we will now open at 8 a.m. On weekends, we will only open from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. The decrease in hours of operations will help save money because we wont be paying for utility bills, employee wages, or other operating costs during the hours we are closed. This is the best strategy for us to save money and remain in business

The argument that the Café should reduce its working hours so save money and prevent it from doing loss seems logical at first glance. However, this conclusion relies on a many assumptions which are not supported by proper evidence and on terms that lack proper definition.

Firstly, the author assumes that the number of customers coming to Juniper Café are less than that coming at other timings. Before 8 am on regular days and before 9 am on weekends, it may be possible that the number of customers may be more than other timings as people generally tend to hava a coffee and may be a quick breakfast before they head to work. Also on weekends after 4 pm, people may come for a casual hangout with friends and family to chill out. In that case the Café would be making huge losses by sacrificing the income at that timings.

Also, the author assumes that café is making loss and if it continues like this then it will have to close or fire some of its employees to remain in business. But no proper dataor balance sheet has been quoted to show that café is running in losses. It may be possible that Juniper Café may be most happening place in town, hugey popular and having a very successful business.

Additionally, the writer’s assumption that reducing hours of operation will save money can be challenged. He is right in saying that the employee wages and other operating costs will be saved but he does not consider other recurring charges like the rent of place which doesn’t stop even if the place is shut down. The café will have to bear that costs which may prove to be a huge loss as they will be incurring loss by shutting down the place.

Lastly, the owner believes this is the best strategy to save money. But he should think about other ways in which profits can be increased or losses prevented and analyse them before declaring the reduced working hours as the best strategy. There may be other ways like changing the chef to improve the taste of food at his café, increased advertising to attract more customers or adding live music to increase the ambience of the café. They may result in increased profit. Losses may be prevented by using electricity judiciously or preventing the wastage of ingredients.

Author needs to answer several qustions so that his arguments stands true. He should show that Café is running in lossed and needs to hava a strategy to save itself. He should also prove that number of people visiting café between 6 am to 8 am are very less getting the café to run in losses. He should show data proving that reduced working hours will save money and it is the best strategy. After all this questions have been properly answered we may be able to believe authors argument to be true.

To Conclude, the managers argument is not true and the assumptions he makes are without proper evidence. The author should rethink about the claims he make.

may be most happening place
may be the most happening place

Sentence: Before 8 am on regular days and before 9 am on weekends, it may be possible that the number of customers may be more than other timings as people generally tend to hava a coffee and may be a quick breakfast before they head to work.
Error: hava Suggestion: have

Sentence: But no proper dataor balance sheet has been quoted to show that caf? is running in losses.
Error: dataor Suggestion: data or

Sentence: It may be possible that Juniper Caf? may be most happening place in town, hugey popular and having a very successful business.
Error: hugey Suggestion: ?

Sentence: There may be other ways like changing the chef to improve the taste of food at his caf?, increased advertising to attract more customers or adding live music to increase the ambience of the caf?.
Error: ambience Suggestion: No alternate word

Sentence: Author needs to answer several qustions so that his arguments stands true.
Error: qustions Suggestion: questions

Sentence: He should show that Caf? is running in lossed and needs to hava a strategy to save itself.
Error: hava Suggestion: have
Error: lossed Suggestion: No alternate word

-------------------------

------------------------

Write the essay in 30 minutes.
For issue essays, around 450 words, for argument essays, around 400 words.