The following appeared in a memo from the Mayor of the city of Hillview:" In order to alleviate the serious unemployment problem in our town, we should encourage Autotech to build its automobile manufacturing plant in our area. The Hillview landfill, whic

The following appeared in a memo from the Mayor of the city of Hillview:

" In order to alleviate the serious unemployment problem in our town, we should encourage Autotech to build its automobile manufacturing plant in our area. The Hillview landfill, which has been undeveloped for decades, is a perfect site for the plant. The building and staffing of this plant will put to work thousands of Hillview residents left unemployed after Computech computer software programming company abandoned its national facility last year. I am asking City Council to authorize a large campaign to attract the company and offer a significant tax incentives to make our town attractive to this giant of car manufacturing."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based on are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answer to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In this article, author makes the claim that setting up of a huge automobile manufacturing plant by Autotech company will alleviate the unemployment problem in the Hillview landfill (HL) town. It can indeed help in getting jobs for the some residents of the town but there are several questions that need to be answered and there are several assumptions that need to be discussed before going with campaign to offer significant tax incentives to the company.

The author states that HL town has been undeveloped for decades and therefore it's a perfect site for this plant. The author's thought process is flawed because if there has been no development in the town for decades, there must be some reasons for this. The town might not be suitable for the industry in terms of climate, the demographic distribution, the work labour it can provide, water and electricity resources and other things that are needed to set up a big industry. A big company will have to think about the availability of skilled labour also if it wants to set up its branch in the town. In that case the education and specific technical learnings of the people of the town will also matter. In case of setting up of a manufacturing plant, the major requirements will be raw manpower, people who can operate on the machines and this can be achieved with sufficient amount of training.

The author also claims that building and staffing of the plant will put to work thousands of people from the town. Has he gotten any kind of assurance from the company for that? The company might bring people from outside the town, especially staff members. It can transfer staff members from some of its other branches. So it needs to be made sure that we have a written and signed contract with the company on these things before going ahead and giving land and tax incentives to make the town more attractive to the new company.

In the article, it has been mentioned that one company, Computech computer software programming (CCSP) company, had abandoned its facitity last year. Has there been some analysis done for this, behind abandonment of the town by the company? The author needs to take the feedback from the CCSP company. Additionally, the major workforce of the Autotech manufacturing plant and CCSP company is going to be completely different in terms of technical skills and education. So assuming that the new company will hire all the people who had lost their jobs because of abandonment of national facility by the previous company is not flawed and incorrect.So before going to authorize a large campaign to attract the company and offer significant tax incentives to make the town more attractive to the automobile manufacturing company, the town council needs to do some research and investigation on the actual needs of the company and what is that it's looking for. Does the town have good resources of water, land, electricity and man power to supply to the company? The reasons of abandonment of the town by CCSP company needs to be investigated too.