The following appeared in a memorandum to the planning department of an investment firm:"Costs have begun dropping for several types of equipment currently used to convert solar energy into electricity. Moreover, some exciting new technologies for convert

The following appeared in a memorandum to the planning department of an investment firm:

"Costs have begun dropping for several types of equipment currently used to convert solar energy into electricity. Moreover, some exciting new technologies for converting solar energy are now being researched and developed. Hence we can expect that solar energy will soon become most cost effective and attractive than coal or oil as a source of electrical power. We should, therefore, encourage investment in Solario, a new manufacturer of solar-powered products. After all, Solario's chief executive was once on the financial planning team for Ready-to-Ware, a software engineering firm that has shown remarkable growth since its recent incorporation."

The arguer has failed to convince us that an investment of the specific investment firm in the Solario manufacturing company will be a profitable one. The argument, as it stands, is based on questionable assumptions and a faulty line of reasoning, a fact which renders it over-simplistic and unconvincing.

First of all, the arguer does not specify whether the cost drop for some, but not all, equipment is temporary nor gives any evidence regarding the current prices, the expected prices and the time frame of these hypotheses. The cost of this equipment could still be too high for manufacturing...

----------------