The following memorandum was sent to the President of Arbayo Manufacturing from the human resources director.“In order to reduce the turnover expense to the company associated with recruiting, hiring, and training, Arbayo should adopt a program of screeni

The following memorandum was sent to the President of Arbayo Manufacturing from the human resources director.

“In order to reduce the turnover expense to the company associated with recruiting, hiring, and training, Arbayo should adopt a program of screening prospective new employees with multiple-choice tests designed to assess intelligence, emotional aptitude, and overall interests. This technique has clearly benefited Wixmer Bank: five years ago, two hundred recently hired Wixmer employees volunteered to undergo such testing. Five years later, over 80% of those employees were still employed at Wixmer, whereas the company as a whole had a retention rate of only 50%.”

Critique the reasoning used in this argument. You are not being asked to discuss your point of view on the argument. You should identify and analyze the central elements of the argument, the underlying assumptions that are being made, and any supporting information that is given. Your critique can also discuss other information that would strengthen or weaken the argument or make it more logical.

The author concludes that adopting a multiple-choice screening test will reduce the turnover expense of the manufacturing firm based on similar experiment conducted in Wixmer bank, The conclusion is based on some assumptions that has flaws which weakens the argument.

The author generalises that the technique that benefitted the bank would also benefit the Manufacturing firm. There are possibilities that the multiple choice screening test that benefitted bank might not prove that successful in hiring candidates for a manufacturing firm since the roles of employees in both the fields are different. Banking requires skills that can be tested using a multiple-choice test, but in a manufacturing firm, the intelligence of a person cannot be judged on the basis of how much he scores in screening test. There is need to test his skills required to tackle the problems associated with manufacturing , other analytical skills and physical strength depending upon the role he is applying for. These things , in any way, cannot be judged by that test.

The second argument that 80% of the employees who volunteered to appear for the test were still employed after five years even though the company had a total retention rate of 50% only neglects some cases. Overall retention rate is calculated based on all the employees even those who joined many years before the test scheme was introduces. There is a possibility that most of those employees might have reached their retirement age , and so left the job. There might be a case , that the bank does not provide that much incentive to old employees as the other competitive banks so the people might have left for some other banks, but for the new employees the incentives are same in all the banks.

Thirdly , the author gives his argument based on statistics of just 200 people which is not significant when it comes to generalize this idea of test. There are high chances that the statistic is not a proper representative of all kind of employees working there. Moreover the results may be biased. To conclude something, the author needs to collect data from different firm ,of different people working in varied fields to generalize the success of technique.

Moreover, if the techniques the author suggests prove to be otherwise to the manufacturing firm, it might incur huge turnover expense because of the recruitment of the not up-to the mark candidates. The author has not provided any solid way to prove that those who are good at multiple-choice test can actually prove to be skilled employees.

So keeping the mind the above mentioned lacuna , the author could have strengthened his argument by collecting mulifarious data from different sources before generalizing this result.

on some assumptions that has flaws which weakens the argument.
on some assumptions that have flaws which weaken the argument.

before the test scheme was introduces.
before the test scheme was introduced.

Sentence: Moreover, if the techniques the author suggests prove to be otherwise to the manufacturing firm, it might incur huge turnover expense because of the recruitment of the not up-to the mark candidates.
Description: The token the is not usually followed by a negator
Suggestion: Refer to the and not

Sentence: The author generalises that the technique that benefitted the bank would also benefit the Manufacturing firm.
Error: generalises Suggestion: generalizes

Sentence: So keeping the mind the above mentioned lacuna , the author could have strengthened his argument by collecting mulifarious data from different sources before generalizing this result.
Error: mulifarious Suggestion: multifarious

----------------

---------------