The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company.“According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any

The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company.

“According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any other year. And yet the percentage of positive reviews by movie reviewers about specific Super Screen movies actually increased during the past year. Clearly, the contents of these reviews are not reaching enough of our prospective viewers. Thus, the problem lies not with the quality of our movies but with the public's lack of awareness that movies of good quality are available. Super Screen should therefore allocate a greater share of its budget next year to reaching the public through advertising.”

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The author gives the argument that the fall in the number of viewers for super screen produced movies is because of the lack of awareness among the public , but i partially agree with the conclusion because there are some flaws in assumptions and the author has not seen the entire perpective of the people.

Firstly the author says that the percentage of the positive reviews has increased despite the decrease in the number of viewers.The percentage value is based on the total no of views and thus is not an accurate statistic to measure the rise and fall of anything when the base on which it is measured is not constant. Since the number of viewers has decreased, the total no. of reviews has decreased, so that might be one reason that the percentage of the positive reviews has increased. Moreover , increasing number of positive reviews is not the only criteria to say that the problem is not in the quality of movies. There might be other reasons.

Secondly, the economy , per capita income also plays a major role in the expenditure of movies. It is possible that during the past year , the income of the people has decreased suddenly due to some circumstances which has a negative effect of their expenditure and since movie is source of entertainment and not a necessity of life ,people might have spent on movies less as compared to other things. There is a likelihood that the place might have encountered some natural calamity or economic breakdown, which reduced the number of viewers.

Thirdly, the movies released that year might not be that interesting or might be something which people do not like, because of which many people did not watch movies. The author assumes that contents of reviews are not reaching people but there is a possibility that even after reading the reviews ,people are reluctant to watch movies because watching movies is too costly for them to afford.

So , the authors conclusion to allocate more bugdet for advertising the super screen movies might not prove successful if the above reasons are true. Moreover, even if the assumptions of the author prove to be true, its not necessary that allocating more budget will earn more viewers or will increase awareness among them until the awareness strategy is properly planned. So I think that the author should analyse the situation from a holistic point of view keeping in mind all the areas and factors affecting the number of viewers and accordingly come to a conclusion to solve the problem.

argument 1 -- OK ok

argument 3 -- the content in this argument is similar to argument 2. Need to argue against the conclusion: 'Super Screen should therefore allocate a greater share of its budget next year to reaching the public through advertising', where you put at the last paragraph.