A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f

A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of families in Bay City are two-income families, and a nationwide study has shown that such families eat significantly fewer home-cooked meals than they did a decade ago but at the same time express more concern about healthful eating. Therefore, the new Captain Seafood restaurant that specializes in seafood should be quite popular and profitable.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be addressed in order to decide whether the conclusion and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to the questions would help to evaluate the conclusion.

The originator of the argument predicts that a new Captain Seafood restaurant will be highly successful and lucrative in case it opens in Bay City. This conclusion is buttressed by evidence which should be carefully questioned in order to comprehensively estimate soundness of the conclusion.

First of all, we are told that a recent study demonstrates that consumption of seafood dishes in the city has skyrocketed by 30 per cent. It might seem that seafood has become popular in the area; however, some other factors which were neglected by the writer may lead to the increase. For instance, region's cattle may contract a dangerous disease which is potentially harmful for human beings, in this case, all ill animals should be buried and burnt. Thus the region may have shortage of meat and consequently, city's dwellers have to switch on seafood. What is more, perhaps the increase may be caused by new trend. For example some local stars make eating seafood fashionable. However, how long will this trend last, probably it will decrease soon. In other words, we may have several factors which may lead to the increase and moreover, this trend may cease its existence soon as well. Thus the author's prediction is not reasonable.

The second evidence which is given to us that Bay City has no restaurants which specialize on seafood. The author hastily concludes that therefore a new restaurant should be profitable and popular. However, the reason on this absence may be that other restaurants have satisfied the demand of local residents. If the demand in a specialized restaurant does not exists, the writer's prediction will not lead to the expected result.

Finally, we know that a nationwide research asserts that many two-income families eat out of home and care about healthy food. However, a nationwide survey has some specific limitations due to its nature. This type of study gives an averaged representation of the population. Thus if five cities prefer to eat in restaurants and majority of two-income families in Bay City like eat home-cooked meals, the nationwide survey will neglect the data which does not fit to the trend. In other words, the nationwide study may not represent the situation of Bay City by the very inherent characteristic of average. Moreover, even if local two income families care about health and prefer eat out side, they may not associate these features with healthy food. For instance, many families assume that eating meat is much healthier then seafood; other families may be vegetarians and as a result they will not consume seafood.

In conclusion, the author's belief that a new Captain Seafood restaurant which specialized in seafood may not be profitable or popular owing to the fact, that the writer does not manage to give us a coherent and convincing arguments.

----------------
argument 1 -- not exactly. It is in 5 years.

argument 2 -- better: maybe people like to eat sea food beside other foods.

----------------
read a sampled:
http://www.testbig.com/gmatgre-essays/recent-sales-study-indicates-cons…

---------------