Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP’s recent s

Two years ago, radio station WCQP in Rockville decided to increase the number of call-in advice programs that it broadcast; since that time, its share of the radio audience in the Rockville listening area has increased significantly. Given WCQP’s recent success with call-in device programming, and citing a nationwide survey indicating the many radio listeners are quite interested in such programs, the station manager of KICK in Medway recommends that KICK include more call-in advice programs in an attempt to gain a larger audience share in its listening area.

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The writer of the argument recommends that to increase the KICK share of the radio audience in Medway, the station manager should increase its number of call-in advice programs. However, this conclusion cannot be accepted as it is because it relies on a series of assumptions for the support of which some vital questions need to be answered.

The first problem with the argument is that it is assumed that the increase in the share of the radio audience is only the result of increase in the number of call-in advice programs. The question is whether other parameters which might affect the result remain as it is in both stations. Maybe the increase in the shares is due to advertising or maybe the call-in programs in each station are not the same in all respects or maybe the programs’ calendar is not the same. This recommendation cannot be accepted unless the writer of the argument gives reasonable answers to this important question.

The second problem with the argument is that it is assumed that the conditions in both places are exactly the same. From this point of view, this question arises that whether the audiences in Medway and Rockville have the same interests. Maybe the audiences of Medway don’t like the call-in programs as much as Rockville audiences does or maybe the call-in programs are in accordance with Medway people’s favorites or culture more than that of Rockville.

Another problem with the argument is that even assuming that the aforesaid problems are removed, there is still one chief question need to be answered. We cannot guarantee that whether the manager of KICK can execute the call-in programs as good as the manager of WCQP. The argument does not give us any proofs whether the two managers can work exactly the same. So this recommendation is poor unless we answer to this question.

In conclusion, the writer of the argument recommends the manager of KICK radio to execute the call-in programs to increase its share of the radio audience and achieve the same results as the WCQP does. Nevertheless, this recommendation can only be accepted if the questions which I mentioned in the body paragraphs are all clearly answered and the weaknesses are all removed.

argument 3 -- not OK. You may argue against 'a nationwide survey'