While the department of education in the state of Attra recommends that high school students be assigned homework everyday the data from a recent statewide survey of high school math and science teachers give us reason to question the usefulness of daily

While the department of education in the state of Attra recommends that high school students be assigned homework everyday, the data from a recent statewide survey of high school math and science teachers give us reason to question the usefulness of daily homework. In the district of Sanlee, 86 percent of the teachers reported assigning homework three to five times a week, whereas in the district of Marlee , less than 25 percent of the teachers reported assigning homework three to five times a week. Yet the students in Marlee earn better grades overall and are less likely to be required to repeat a year of school than are the students in Sanlee. Therefore, all teachers in our high schools should assign homework no more than twice a week.

The author states in the argument provided that the homework should be assigned to the students not more than twice a week. This statement is based on a certain survey carried out in the districts of Sanlee and Marlee and certain comparisons are provided. Yet, the conclusion is not logically convincing due to certain gaps and flaws in the information provided.

Firstly, it is stated that in Sanlee 86 percent of the teachers reported to the survey while in Marlee, less than 25 percent reported. But an important parameter is missing here that is the base figure. Say, the survey is conducted on 100 people. Then 85 percent of 100 is 85 and less than 25 percent is less than 25 say 24 or even less. The difference is nominal. Now, if we consider that the base figure is 10,0000. So on calculating, it is found that the difference is huge( that is 85000 and 24000 or less). So, how can the author conclude on such grounds.

Moreover, here only the case of those teachers is considered who reported to the survey conducted. It is possible that who did not respond to the survey might have contrasting views. They might be in favour of giving the homework three to five times a week and might be the grades and performance of their students is better than those who are assigned the homework only twice a week.

Further, here a comparison is made of Sanlee and Marlee without providing any relevant information about the two. The details of the mental ability of the students, the teaching methods followed or even the grade criterion followed by the teachers is not provided. It is possible that the students of Marlee are so sharp and their grasping power is such that they do not require any repetition of the syllabus, then they are more likely to succeed.

Another possibility can be that it is mandatory for the students to complete their assignments and homework in some extra time provided in school under the check of the teachers themselves. Then each and every student has to finish the work in the school itself and their chances to succeed increases. Moreover, no criterion is stated about the grading system. It is possible that the pass percentage required is less in case of schools in Marlee resulting in lesser incidents of the students repeating a year.

So, due to the gaps and flaws in the information provided in the argument, a logical and convincing conclusion cannot be drawn. Had the author provided the relevant information concerning the base figure, the actual number of people who reported to the survey and the logical information for the comparison of schools in the two districts, a satisfying conclusion could be drawn.