Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author of the statement claim that Woven baskets were not unique for Palean. This conclusion came from the discovery of “Pelean” basket in Lithos which is an ancient village across the river from Palea. This assumption looks very convincing at first glance because author proof the supporting information that no Palean boats have been found. But if we evaluate it carefully, flaws are exist and make the whole statement invalid.

First of all, we all know that the plate of earth is moving. So the Brim River is very deep and broad now does not imply it was as deep and broad as it is now. If in ancient, the Brim River is land or a small brook, it is not difficult for Palean people to travel between Palea and Lithos. To strength his viewpoint, the author should provide the evidence that Brim River is also deep and broad in ancient time. And why it is impossible for people to go through the river by other way such as swimming.

Secondly, the author fails to prove the evidence why Palenns could only access Lithos by boat. All the continent are connect with each other. So it is very likely that ancient Paleans are not necessary reach Lithos through river. They can go a little further and get access to Lithos through other villages. Or even more, Paleans can trade with travelers, and those travelers can bring the baskets to Lithos through multiple exchanges. Therefore, if Palea is not the only village have people or Palea and Lithos were not islands far away from all the continent, it is very difficult to identify the original birth place of the baskets found in Lithos. Apart from that, even if the baskets was made by Lithos, it is still possible that Lithos people learn the technology from ancient Palea since those two villages are so close. It is not strange that they trade some goods and exchange some technologies to benefit each other.

Besides, the author mentioned that no Palean boats have been found. Actually, it is not equivalent to not exist. Discovering of ancient legacy is a small chance activity, although people are keeping doing so. Have not found Palean boats do not equal to ancient Palean people had no boats. Actually, before woven baskets were found in Lithos, people do believe they are unique in Palean, and now they found it is possible for Lithos to make them. Therefore, it is still too early to conclude that Palean people have no boats, it is very likely for archaeologists to find them sooner or later. If the author do believe ancient Palea cannot have boats, he should provide evident such as why it is impossible for them to build boats.

To sum up, this statement given by the author is not cogent enough. To reach the conclusion as he did, there is still plenty of information needed. Without the evidences and supporting information mentioned above, it is impossible to make people believe that Woven baskets is not unique in Palea. And in other side, there is also no evidence to convincing people that woven baskets can only be made by Palea now.

Have not found Palean boats do not equal to ancient Palean people had no boats.

argument 3 -- Little bit doubt about this argument since you couldn't prove whether there are Palean boats available.