Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa

Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author asserts that woven baskets with a specific pattern, which used to be considered as a unique feature of baskets made in Palea, have been recently found in Lithos village which is situated across the river from Palea. Thus the writer of the argument concludes that the distinctive pattern is not unique for the vicinity of the Palea. This conclusion is buttressed by several evidences which should be carefully gauged in order to give a comprehensive estimation of the soundness of the conclusion.

First of all we are told that the Brim River is very deep and it may be crossed only via boat. Despite the fact that this river is so deep and wide that it is a necessity to use boat to cross it, perhaps, the river did not have the same characteristics in prehistoric times. For instance, the global climate may change over time, in this case, the river may be smaller and more shallow, thus man may cross it without usage of boats. Moreover, the mankind has changed the planet dramatically since the XX century, probably, some buildings were erected on the banks of the river to use the power of the river to create electricity, consequently, these man-made buildings may cause the increase in river's level of water. In other words, the today's facets of the Brim River may differ from these of it in the past.

The second evidence which is given to us is that no boats have been found. The originator of the argument tends to assume that that means that no boats have existed. At the same time, prehistoric boats may be made from wood and thus decayed over time. What is more, perhaps local dwellers have never possessed any boat but some traveler may use the river to trade in this case, these merchants may bought baskets in Palea and then sell them in other villages. Thus, the author's belief is not supported and the possibility that the baskets are unique items for the vicinity of Palea is not refuted.

Finally, the writer of the argument maintains that the fact that the woven baskets with a particular and unique pattern have been found in Lithos, we should accept that the baskets are not uniquely Palean. However, the evidences which were used by the author have been disproved and thus his or her claim is not warranted.

argument 2 -- not exactly. In the passage 'no Palean boats have been found', but people from Lithos may have boat and come to Palean for the Woven baskets.

argument 3 -- you don't have.
----------------