127The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but the general well-being of all its people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In develo

127 The surest indicator of a great nation is not the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but the general well-being of all its people.
Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

How can people evaluate one country's prosperity-the well-being of its citizens, or the achievements of social elites? Actually, it is quite a complicated question and required to be seen from different angles. In my opinion, the well-being of the citizens reflects the level of its country's condition at present, yet the self-achievement can decide the future development of the country.

A country is composed by its citizens and the living standard of its majority people can be the direct indicate of the country's succeed. This is not hard to imagine: if its citizens suffer from life-threats, bulletins and food shortage all day and even need to claim company's life to guarantee their own survival, the country is doomed. However, if its people can embrace highly appropriate education since their young, get a decent job after they step into the society and hold their beloved one's hand happily ever after till the day they die, the country is successful for offering a secure and affluent environment to their citizens to live in. Therefore, the general living conditions can be a indication of one country's success.

However, that phenomenon sometimes are ephemeral and temporal. From the dictionary, it can be known that well-being means the state of being happy, healthy or successful, nevertheless, how can citizens be guaranteed their well-being? In another word, 21st century is a rather complex time, under the progress of globalization people need to confront issues from war, pollution, shortage of natural resources and ect. and how can a country keep its citizens from those disaster and have a peaceful life and how can a country pass its prosperity to the next generations? Self-achievements of social elites in each field might be the future's decisive factors.

Peaceful and secure country needs a competent ruler although a country's regulation also requires its citizens supervision to prevent dictatorship, however, ruler's self-talents, proactive decisive skills and highly moral standard can benefit overall country. Lincoln, for example, his insistent endeavor on emancipation of slaves not only rescued the country from secession, secured its future stable and safe. In addition, people also have to own a healthy body to enjoy the peaceful and prosperous life. And qualified and responsible physicians as well as advanced diagnostic-methods and efficacious medicines are prerequisites. Those are relying on the scientists' inventions and researching in their particular fields. Furthermore, a great nation also need to keep their culture completeness. Artists, musician and writers represent the unique spirit and culture of one country. Its citizens identify themselves as a social member by acknowledging these and its next generations also depend on these to trace back their history. Flourish on culture can guarantee cultural continuity of a country from devouring by other countries' cultural invasion, especially when confront the progress of globalization.

Therefore, a thriving country have to be assessed from the attainments of its individuals and general citizens, and from its present conditions and secured future. Those factors are all symbols of proving a country's prosperity.