18.The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the compla

18. The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station.

"Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaints received from viewers were concerned with our station's coverage of weather and local news. In addition, local businesses that used to advertise during our late-night news program have canceled their advertising contracts with us. Therefore, in order to attract more viewers to our news programs and to avoid losing any further advertising revenues, we should expand our coverage of weather and local news on all our news programs."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In the given passage, a report from the business manager of a television station has presented. In a late night news program, they have reduced the time allotted for the local news and weather forcasting and enhanced the duration of national news. Further its consequences on the viewers and on the deals with advertizing agencies has reported. Based on certain premises and assumptions, author has concluded to again increase the time for local and weather news.

Firstly, author has stated the changes made in the allotted time for local and national news. But reasons behind these changes have not mentioned. It would have been possible, that changes have made because of the public demand or their interest. Further author has informed that complaints from viewers are mainly about coverage of weather and local news.

The author has assumed here that the viewers are not satiate with the time duration of the coverage of local news. Here the assumption seems to be unjustifiable without evidence and support. It would have been possible that audience is complaining because of the poor quality of broadcasting or because of the inadequate and improper content. So detailed investigation should be done to explore the causes of viewers dissatisfaction.

Thirdly, it is mentioned that local advertizing agencies have cancelled their contracts with them. What are the reasons behind this, Is their any issue with the delay of their payment. Are any opponents of that news program who are offering more attractive offers to the advertizing agencies. All this questionable premises should be answered cogently to strengthen the argument.

Author has concluded with a suggestion to increase the time for local and weather news again to satisfy the viewers.Detailed investigation should be done to find the reasons behind the viewers and advertizing agencies dissatisfaction.The news channel should also focus on the quality of coverage and contents. More evidence and supporting argument should be provided by the author to conceive a opinion and judgement should be done accordingly.

Sentence: So detailed investigation should be done to explore the causes of viewers dissatisfaction.
Suggestion: Refer to viewers and dissatisfaction

Sentence: Author has concluded with a suggestion to increase the time for local and weather news again to satisfy the viewers.Detailed investigation should be done to find the reasons behind the viewers and advertizing agencies dissatisfaction.The news channel should also focus on the quality of coverage and contents.
Suggestion: Refer to agencies and dissatisfaction

Sentence: Thirdly, it is mentioned that local advertizing agencies have cancelled their contracts with them.
Error: advertizing Suggestion: advertising

Sentence: Are any opponents of that news program who are offering more attractive offers to the advertizing agencies.