74 The president of Grove College has recommended that the college abandon its century old tradition of all female education and begin admitting men Pointing to other all female colleges that experienced an increase in applications after adopting coeducat

74 The president of Grove College has recommended that the college abandon its century-old tradition of all-female education and begin admitting men. Pointing to other all-female colleges that experienced an increase in applications after adopting coeducation, the president argues that coeducation would lead to a significant increase in applications and enrollment. However, the director of the alumnae association opposes the plan. Arguing that all-female education is essential to the very identity of the college, the director cites annual surveys of incoming students in which these students say that the school's all-female status was the primary reason they selected Grove. The director also points to a survey of Grove alumnae in which a majority of respondents strongly favored keeping the college all female.
Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

In this argument, to the future development of the university, the president of the school and the director of the alumnae association held opposite opinions. The president expects a revolution due to the university is all-female school at present and an increasing in applications if male students are allowed to apply too. However, the director assumes this action will stain the school's old image and offend the majority members of alumnae association. Before hastily following the ideas of either of the both, there are several questions needed to be answered.

By citing the examples of other all-female universities which implement the new policy of including male students and stimulate the number of applications, the president deems that enacting the same policy will benefit Grove College too. The question here is, however, whether Grove College can be compared with those universities. Because the author does not provide any information of those schools even Grove College's. Perhaps the same action should be ineffective on Grove College since their disparate background details such as the historical rate of applications and quality of education. For example, due to the high quality of education and advanced facilities of Grove College, its historical rate of application is rather high and staying stable, while other universities may confront financial problems because of their low applications and then a reformation is quite essential to them. If true, there is no need for Grove College to change its basic policy to follow others' trend which may does not fit itself. Therefore, before offering more convincing information about the similarities of those schools, the president cannot persuade his/her rival.

The president's rival-the director cites two surveys to undermine the president's ideas. According to the first survey of incoming students who say the all-female status is the initial reason why they choose GC, the director deems that the changing policy will impair the college's old tradition and very identity. At first glance, the assumption seems quite reasonable, however, the survey fails to provide the respondents' size whether they can be the representatives of whole students. Besides, whether those respondents' reply can be trusted is also suspectable because there are possibilities that the students did not express their very thoughts if they got their parents' companies around at that time, or that the students tried to impress the professors of the school to get accepted. Either scenario, if true, would serve to undermine the director's own claim.

Furthermore, based on the latter survey of Grove alumnae who strongly support keeping the school's old tradition. However, the survey's reliability is highly doubted due to the investigator is the director who is the leader of the Grove alumnae association. Those respondents who are afraid to offend their leader may not offer their truthful opinions. In addition, it is quite possible that for supporting his/her own ideas, the director only select part of the results of the survey which may favor his/her ideas. Unless, the director can provide other objective and sounded survey, the opinion hold by him/her can not convince the president to drop the initial thoughts.

To sum up, there are questions for each of the person to answer due to neither of them provides reliable and persuasive evidence which can thoroughly illustrate the present condition of the college. Although their concerns about the school should be appreciated, other methods which can enhance the applications of school should be considered such as hiring famous professors and updating technological facilities. Only after well-rounded considering and unbias discussing, the best policy will be appeared.

argument 1 -- not OK

argument 2 -- not OK

argument 3 -- not OK
---------------------