Analysis of an Argument

Analysis of an Argument

"The Commercial airline industry in the country of Freedonia has experienced impressive growth in the past three years. This trend will surely continue in the years to come, since the airline industry will benefit from recent changes in Freedonian society: Income are rising, most employees now receive more vacation time, and interest in traavel is rising,as shown by an increase in media attention devoted to foreign culturs and tourist attractions"

In this argument, the writes states that the commercial airline industry in the country of Freedonia has recorded massive growth for the past three years. He also mentioned that the growth is likely to continue because the industry will benefit from increase in income of Freedonian citizens plus more workers are enjoying increase in vacation time and there is an increased interest to travel to foreign land for tourism due to massive media awareness. However, this conclusion seems unwarranted.

First, the writer assumes that the airline industry has been enjoying excellent growth for the last three years. He did not pin point the criteria that was used in arriving at the conclusion. He did not state the factors that prompted the this growth in the first place. It could have been an idea that was made up by the writer in order to gain unnecessary media attention to himself.

In addition, he states that the airline industry would continue to record impressive growth due to recent changes in the lifestyle of the Freedonian society. He did not tell us what other changes are there to promote the impressive growth in the airline industry apart from increase in income. He did not include where and how he got his statistics for arriving at such conclusion. He did not inform us what happen to prompt this increase.

Furthermore, he mentioned that income of Freedonian citizens are increasing. How did he arrive at this conclusion? He did not state any comment to this effect indicating if such increase was true or not. We can not tell how he got this information; he could have formed it in this mind or merely heard some people discussing and just assumes that income were increasing without validating this claim.

Finally, he concludes that interest in air travel would increase due to massive media awareness in foreign tourism. The writer did not specify what could have caused this increase apart from income increase and more vacation time. The writer cannot base his conclusion on just these reasons without providing concrete evidence that these are the factors that would contribute to increase in travel to foreign land for tourism.

In conclusion, the writer assumes that increase in income, more vacation time, massive media awareness in air travel to foreign countries for tourism would impressively increase the growth of commercial airline industry. All these claims are baseless without giving enough evidence in the form of reliable survey, statistics and statements from airline authority. Therefore, the information provided by the writer to arrive at his conclusion are unjustified.