You are hereIn any field—business, politics, education, government—those in power should be required to step down after five years.

In any field—business, politics, education, government—those in power should be required to step down after five years.

sylcom5's picture

By sylcom5 - Posted on 01 November 2012

Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I chose to begin my argument in this manner in order to express my support for the fact that those in power, be it business, politics, education and/or government should step down after five years.

It is quite easy for people to get used to power especially when they can wield a great deal of influence on the society and whatever sphere that their authority controls. As a man from africa which is my birth continent, there are countless cases where those in power after being there over five years automatically considers that position to be their birth rite. Lets call to mind the case of Idi Amin of Uganda who ruled that country for well over three decades, leaving behind a legacy of deep economic crisis, civil unrest, ethnic cleansing and widespread chaos.

Now, it my seem to my readers that, that is just one of those few cases that the individuals in question just went overboard, but it clearly isn't. For a society to experience meaningful and sustainable development and progress, leaders from all walks of life should be given the chance to contribute their quota.

No single man is endowered with the skills and knowledge to rule, leadership is essentially a part of people who seek positive change and would like to create a level plain field for each individual to excel and hopefully achieve their dreams.

History has a wealth of case of those people who got carried away by their leadership position out of being there longer than they should. In addition to the case i cited earlier, Mumah Gadafy of Libya, President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt, Late Sadaam Hussain of Iraq, President Ahmedinajad of Iran to mention a few. These are individuals that contributed nothing much to the progress of their nation other than pursuing personal ambitions that readily cast these countries in a bad light.

Five years is indeed enough time for individuals in power to realize there set goals which naturally should aim at improving the lives of the people they govern and also contribute values that can be handed down from generation to generation. We can see cases like that in countries and societies that allow other people to exercise their own ideas, not necessarily reinventing the wheels. Countries like the great Britain, united states of america, Switzerland to mention a few.

Life is indeed dynamic and so plans, policies and ideas from one tenure, if viable, would most certainly be the framework for the next. The right plans and decisions is not relative when everyone stands to rip the benefit.

I firmly believe that this is arguably the best way to ensure transparency and a well balanced society where people can make meaning progress.