Argument Essay"Obesity is a big problem for housecats, where 50% of house cats are obese. Because obesity is such a problem, kitten owners should feed their kittens Happy Cat brand Kitten Chow, which is lower in fat than most Kitten food. This will ensure

Argument Essay

"Obesity is a big problem for housecats, where 50% of house cats are obese. Because obesity is such a problem, kitten owners should feed their kittens Happy Cat brand Kitten Chow, which is lower in fat than most Kitten food. This will ensure that kittens will grow up to be healthy and of a normal weight"

The advertisement states the benefits of replacing the presently used cat food with Happy Cat Brand's Kitten Chow citing the problem of obesity however the claim and conclusion is based on some loosely knitted assumptions. Firstly the advertisement writer assumes that the fat content in the food of the cats is the only reason causing obesity, further assuming that the feeding habits of cats are the only reason for obesity. The advertisement then endorses the cat food from Happy Cat brand without specifying if the other nutrients can match the present cat food which it intends to replace with its low fat content and the assumptions are based on roughly 50% of house cats who are obese without finding alternative reasons to the obesity problem.

The problem of obesity may not be entirely due to the feeding habits of the cats, like humans there may be various genetical, physiological and lifestyle related reasons that may be causing obesity which the writer fails to address. There must be a guided study into the causes of obesity in house cats which would then give conclusive evidence to the real problem. The fat in the present cat food may not be the only reason for obesity as an inactive lifestyle could also be responsible for obesity. One must then ask if they have any experimental data to back up there claims that other cat foods are causing obesity.

The writer then fails to give a broader description of the other salient features of Kitten Chow except the low fat content which it bases its conclusion on. We must ask if the Kitten Chow contains the necessary nutrient for the cats and appropriate calorific value required to provide a proper nutritional value for the cats. We are not told however about the proportion of the obese cats amongst those 50% who already feed on Kitten Chow and are still obese, if some cats as such exist than that would undermine the whole purpose of the advertisement.

The scope of the data used to write this advertisement seems limited and to base a conclusion on such limited data would give inconclusive results. We do not know if the cats will actually like the change and readily consume Kitten Chow over the previous cat foods, also if the buyers are interested in the obesity problem and concerned about feline obesity. Does the writer of the advertisement have evidence that cats feeding on Kitten Chow have previously tackled the problem of obesity successfully or that cats who consume Kitten Chow are never obese.

Thus in the lack of conclusive evidence we cannot accept the advertisements claim which is based on very parochial set of assumptions. The advertisement would do better if it had some evidence to show how the product was beneficial and if it was based on facts about the real reasons of obesity which would then make the products effectiveness beyond doubt, without such conclusive data the advertisement can have little or no effect in the purpose of promoting Kitten Chow.

Sentence: The scope of the data used to write this advertisement seems limited and to base a conclusion on such limited data would give inconclusive results.
Description: The word base is not usually used as a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to base

Sentence: The advertisement would do better if it had some evidence to show how the product was beneficial and if it was based on facts about the real reasons of obesity which would then make the products effectiveness beyond doubt, without such conclusive data the advertisement can have little or no effect in the purpose of promoting Kitten Chow.
Suggestion: Refer to products and effectiveness