You are hereargument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, howev

argument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, howev

sheepfei199184's picture

By sheepfei199184 - Posted on 02 May 2012

argument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author claims that woven baskets are not particular to Palea. To support the conclusion, he cites various evidences found by archaeologists recently. Although these evidences appear to bolster the author's argument, a meticulous analysis will show otherwise. So the author needs to cite the following specific evidences to make the argument more sound:1)a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets.2)whether the only way for people in Palea to go to Lithos is by crossing Brim river by boat.3)statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.

First, a picture that compared these two pattern woven baskets that one found in Lithe while the other found in Palea will demonstrate the similarities between them. This specific evidence could strengthen or weaken the argument depending on what the picture indicates. Base on the pictures, if the woven patterns are indeed very similar, then it will strengthen the argument. However, if the opposite is found, then it will not support the argument.

Secondly, the author need to clarify that whether crossing Brim River by boat is the only method to get into Lithos. This evidence, again, can go either direction. If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported. Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there. Thence, people can cross the river so readily without any other tools to help them any more.

Last but not least, if there are other alternative routes for the Palea people to get into the city of Lithos, the author must now provide statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos. The data could then be used to show that no one from Palea ever settled or visited Lithos. Depending on the results of the statistics, the author's argument could be bolstered or enervated.

In sum, the author needs to provide more specific evidences such as a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets. The possible ways for people to go to Lithos from Palea and statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.without these specific evidence, the author cannot convince me on the claim.

apastyRag Ethiopia

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

"The way students and scholars interpret the materials they work with in their academic fields is more a matter of personality than of training. Different interpretations come about when people with different personalities look at exactly the same objects ronaldo sticky icon
Nations should pass laws to preserve any remaining wilderness areas in their natural state.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the m swam5
Governments should invest as much in the arts as they do in the military.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and suppor zen123
Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be dhanraj1311 sticky icon
Governments should focus on solving the immediate problems of today rather than on trying to solve the anticipated problems of the future. maryam2900
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. shefali saxena
The following appeared in a memo from the vice president of a food distribution company with food storage warehouses in several cities."Recently, we signed a contract with the Fly-Away Pest Control Company to provide pest control services at our fast-food elenad3d
“The positive effects of competition in a society far outweigh the negative effects.” karimkhan
The following appeared in a newsletter offering advice to investors. "Over 80 percent of the respondents to a recent survey indicated a desire to reduce their intake of foods containing fats and cholesterol, and today low-fat products abound in many food endlessLearning sticky icon
:theatre is extremely popular in the city of Thespiana: over 10,000 people attended its annual theatre festival last spring, and the highest-rated television program there is theatre highlights’ ,which is aired every weekday. Also a number of well-known t avinash

Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11
Television is entirely democratic in that its content is controlled by what the people want. angel
The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a large, highly diversified company."Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two different regions. The buildings were erected by two differe nbkru2f sticky icon
In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement yjc1989
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently Vanan
GMAT Argument Writing Sample 49 essayking
GMAT Argument Writing Sample 51 essayking
People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. maxchen
People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. I Agata
Issue: "Scientific theories, which most people consider as 'fact', almost invariably prove to be inaccurate. Thus, one should look upon any information described as 'factual' with skepticism since it may well be proven false in future." hrh0001

Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts. Chengyuan Cai sticky icon
The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be 2971 sticky icon
The following appeared in an e-mail sent by the marketing director of the Classical Shakespeare Theatre of Bardville."Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre product nbkru2f
The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company."Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One nbkru2f sticky icon
Governments should invest as much in the arts as they do in the military.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and suppor koser_2
In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field. 2971 sticky icon
The best ideas arise from a passionate interest in commonplace things.Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement above and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should c koser_2
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently koser_2 sticky icon
The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulty obtaining reliable supplies of high-quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of nbkru2f

The best way for a society to prepare its young people for leadership in government, industry or other fields is by instilling them a sense of cooperation, not competition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree wit 2971
Every individual in a society has a responsibility to obey just laws and to disobey and resist unjust laws.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure nbkru2f
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa dreamlizz

Sentence: If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will and strength

Sentence: Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a preposition
Suggestion: Refer to can and across

The arguments are good enough.