You are hereargument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, howev

argument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, howev

sheepfei199184's picture

By sheepfei199184 - Posted on 02 May 2012

argument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author claims that woven baskets are not particular to Palea. To support the conclusion, he cites various evidences found by archaeologists recently. Although these evidences appear to bolster the author's argument, a meticulous analysis will show otherwise. So the author needs to cite the following specific evidences to make the argument more sound:1)a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets.2)whether the only way for people in Palea to go to Lithos is by crossing Brim river by boat.3)statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.

First, a picture that compared these two pattern woven baskets that one found in Lithe while the other found in Palea will demonstrate the similarities between them. This specific evidence could strengthen or weaken the argument depending on what the picture indicates. Base on the pictures, if the woven patterns are indeed very similar, then it will strengthen the argument. However, if the opposite is found, then it will not support the argument.

Secondly, the author need to clarify that whether crossing Brim River by boat is the only method to get into Lithos. This evidence, again, can go either direction. If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported. Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there. Thence, people can cross the river so readily without any other tools to help them any more.

Last but not least, if there are other alternative routes for the Palea people to get into the city of Lithos, the author must now provide statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos. The data could then be used to show that no one from Palea ever settled or visited Lithos. Depending on the results of the statistics, the author's argument could be bolstered or enervated.

In sum, the author needs to provide more specific evidences such as a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets. The possible ways for people to go to Lithos from Palea and statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.without these specific evidence, the author cannot convince me on the claim.

to understand the most important characteristics of a society one must study its major cities H.M
The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper."Commuters complain that increased rush-hour traffic on Blue Highway between the suburbs and the city center has doubled their commuting time. The favored proposal of the motorists' lob utkarshece
Nature's Way, a chain of stores selling health food and other health-related products, is opening its next franchise in the town of Plainsville. The store should prove to be very successful: Nature's Way franchises tend to be most profitable in areas wher sheepfei199184
"The following appeared as part of a petition sent to residents of Youngtown by an environmental protection group:"The Smith Corporation shouldn't be permitted to develop the land that is now part of the Youngtown Wildlife Preserve. This sanctuary is esse Sauvik_B sticky icon
"The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its heroines." ramakrishna91
The following appeared in a memorandum written by the chairperson of the West Egg Town Council."Two years ago, consultants predicted that West Egg's landfill, which is used for garbage disposal, would be completely filled within five years. During the pas soran942
Some people believe that corporations have a responsibility to promote the well-being of the societies and environments in which they operate. Others believe that the only responsibility of corporations, provided they operate within the law, is to make as NewNewNew
The Mozart School of Music should obviously be the first choice of any music student aware of its reputation. First of all, the Mozart School stresses intensive practice and training, so that students typically begin their training at a very young age. Se sthellen sticky icon
The regional brand manager sent the following memo to the national brand manager for Sun-Beem Facial Cleanser.“We need to institute a huge publicity campaign for the launch of Sun-Beem’s improved formula. Without an enormous media blitz, including televis Manonmani Sound...
In the Bayhead Public Library, books that are rarely borrowed continue to take up shelf space year after year, while people who want to read a recent novel frequently find that the library's only copy is checked out. Clearly, the library's plan to replace oppoos sticky icon

All too often, companies hire outside consultants to suggest ways for the company to operate more efficiently. If the companies were to spend more time listening to their own employees, such consultants would be unnecessary.Write a response in which you d ana-mika GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a Thupten Tsering GMAT/GRE
Knowing about the past cannot help people to make important decisions today. Uche GMAT/GRE
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently vp.sumit GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Argument Essay-“The Smith Corporation should not be permitted to develop the land that is now part of the Youngtown Wildlife Preserve. This sanctuary is essential to the survival of the 300 bird species that live in our area. Although only a small percent rats_21 GMAT/GRE
Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated.Write a response in which you discuss the e pawarashish10 GMAT/GRE
“A ten-year nationwide study of the effectiveness of wearing a helmet while bicycling indicates that ten years ago, approximately 35 percent of all bicyclists reported wearing helmets, whereas today that number is nearly 80 percent. Another study, however dreamlizz GMAT/GRE Argument Task
ARGUMENT:A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majo aloha871111 GMAT/GRE
The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im yan22 GMAT/GRE Argument Task
ARGUMENT:"An innovative treatment has come to our attention that promises to significantly reduce absenteeism in our schools and workplaces. A study reports that in nearby East Meria, where fish consumption is very high, people visit the doctor only once aloha871111 GMAT/GRE

"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for e darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Historians and other social scientists are as useful to society as are the biochemists and engineers because society's ill cannot be cured by technological progresses alone. ana-mika sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"It is often asserted that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. In reality, however, formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free." Maulik Modi sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. Hma GMAT/GRE Issue Task
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. singhya sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Maulik Modi GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species darsh GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Claiton University needs both affordable housing for its students and a way to fund the building of such housing. The best solution to this problem is to commission a famous architect known for experimental and futuristic buildings. It is common knowledge ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"People most respect the powerful not when they exercise their power, but when they refrain from exercising it."Write an essay in which you develop and support a position on the statement above. In writing your essay, you should consider both when the sta Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them not by their contemporaries. fjalalit GMAT/GRE Issue Task

The following appeared in a memo from the manager of Uppercuts hair salon:"According to a nationwide demographic study more and more people today are moving from suburbs to downtown areas. In order to boost sagging profits at Uppercuts, we should take adv ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the numb vp.sumit GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. sindz03 GMAT/GRE Issue Task

Sentence: If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will and strength

Sentence: Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a preposition
Suggestion: Refer to can and across

The arguments are good enough.