Essay topics: argument：Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.
The author claims that woven baskets are not particular to Palea. To support the conclusion, he cites various evidences found by archaeologists recently. Although these evidences appear to bolster the author's argument, a meticulous analysis will show otherwise. So the author needs to cite the following specific evidences to make the argument more sound:1)a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets.2)whether the only way for people in Palea to go to Lithos is by crossing Brim river by boat.3)statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.
First, a picture that compared these two pattern woven baskets that one found in Lithe while the other found in Palea will demonstrate the similarities between them. This specific evidence could strengthen or weaken the argument depending on what the picture indicates. Base on the pictures, if the woven patterns are indeed very similar, then it will strengthen the argument. However, if the opposite is found, then it will not support the argument.
Secondly, the author need to clarify that whether crossing Brim River by boat is the only method to get into Lithos. This evidence, again, can go either direction. If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported. Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there. Thence, people can cross the river so readily without any other tools to help them any more.
Last but not least, if there are other alternative routes for the Palea people to get into the city of Lithos, the author must now provide statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos. The data could then be used to show that no one from Palea ever settled or visited Lithos. Depending on the results of the statistics, the author's argument could be bolstered or enervated.
In sum, the author needs to provide more specific evidences such as a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets. The possible ways for people to go to Lithos from Palea and statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.without these specific evidence, the author cannot convince me on the claim.
|Post date||Users||Rates||More about the essay|
|6 hours 15 min ago||jenzamalu||0||Read full essay|
|22 hours 27 min ago||Spelshot||83||Read full essay|
|3 days 16 hours ago||allancipe||83||Read full essay|
|6 days 23 hours ago||Vaibhav1214||50||Read full essay|
|1 week 3 days ago||varunkumar161||50||Read full essay|
|1 week 6 days ago||raunak||50||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 15 hours ago||aakritii92||66||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 2 days ago||sheethal23||50||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 2 days ago||sandeep.daiya45...||79||Read full essay|
|2 weeks 3 days ago||herman||50||Read full essay|
- The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens. (54.4444)
- The following appeared in a memo at XYZ company."When XYZ lays off employees, it pays Delany Personnel Firm to offer those employees assistance in creating résumés and developing interviewing skills, if they so desire. Laid-off employees have benefited gr (80)
- The vice president of human resources at Climpson Industries sent the following recommendation to the company's president."In an effort to improve our employees' productivity, we should implement electronic monitoring of employees' Internet use from their (40)
- The most effective way to understand contemporary culture is to analyze the trends of its youth. (69)
- The surest indicator of a great nation is represented not by the achievements of its rulers, artists, or scientists, but by the general welfare of its people. (48.6667)
- The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any (57.5)
- Politicians should pursue common ground and reasonable consensus rather than elusive ideals (54.090899999999998)
- 63The following recommendation was made by the president and administrative staff of Grove College, a private institution, to the college's governing committee."We recommend that Grove College preserve its century-old tradition of all-female education rat (70)
- argument：The following appeared in the summary of a study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia.A recently issued twenty-year study on headaches suffered by the residents of Mentia investigated the possible therapeutic effect of consuming salic (65)
- Claim: Colleges and universities should specify all required courses and eliminate elective courses in order to provide clear guidance for students.Reason: College students—like people in general—prefer to follow directions rather than make their own deci (54)