You are hereargument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, howev

argument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, howev

sheepfei199184's picture

By sheepfei199184 - Posted on 02 May 2012

argument:Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archaeologists discovered such a "Palean" basket in Lithos, an ancient village across the Brim River from Palea. The Brim River is very deep and broad, and so the ancient Paleans could have crossed it only by boat, and no Palean boats have been found. Thus it follows that the so-called Palean baskets were not uniquely Palean.
Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The author claims that woven baskets are not particular to Palea. To support the conclusion, he cites various evidences found by archaeologists recently. Although these evidences appear to bolster the author's argument, a meticulous analysis will show otherwise. So the author needs to cite the following specific evidences to make the argument more sound:1)a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets.2)whether the only way for people in Palea to go to Lithos is by crossing Brim river by boat.3)statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.

First, a picture that compared these two pattern woven baskets that one found in Lithe while the other found in Palea will demonstrate the similarities between them. This specific evidence could strengthen or weaken the argument depending on what the picture indicates. Base on the pictures, if the woven patterns are indeed very similar, then it will strengthen the argument. However, if the opposite is found, then it will not support the argument.

Secondly, the author need to clarify that whether crossing Brim River by boat is the only method to get into Lithos. This evidence, again, can go either direction. If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported. Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there. Thence, people can cross the river so readily without any other tools to help them any more.

Last but not least, if there are other alternative routes for the Palea people to get into the city of Lithos, the author must now provide statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos. The data could then be used to show that no one from Palea ever settled or visited Lithos. Depending on the results of the statistics, the author's argument could be bolstered or enervated.

In sum, the author needs to provide more specific evidences such as a picture that compares the pattern of the two baskets. The possible ways for people to go to Lithos from Palea and statistic data that indicated the origin of the people in Lithos.without these specific evidence, the author cannot convince me on the claim.

Humans arrived in the Kaliko Islands about 7,000 years ago, and within 3,000 years most of the large mammal species that had lived in the forests of the Kaliko Islands had become extinct. Yet humans cannot have been a factor in the species' extinctions, b souparnika
In any given field, the leading voices come from people who are motivated not by conviction but by the desire to present opinions and ideas that differ from those held by the majority.-GRE Issue 74 farmer.smith sticky icon
to understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities. yasir1994
The following opinion was provided in a letter to the editor of a national aeronautics magazine:“Manned space flight is costly and dangerous. Moreover, the recent success of a series of unmanned space probes and satellites has demonstrated that a great de leoleo sticky icon
A recent survey of 250 adults between the ages of 30 and 45 showed an association between the number of hours adults spend online each day and self-reporting of symptoms commonly associated with depression. The survey found that adults who spend 30 hours janet
The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any gre13 sticky icon
Governments should offer college and university education free of charge to all students. garima_chandel sticky icon
Scientists and other researchers should focus their research on areas that are likely to benefit the greatest number of people.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoni Chukky
The following appeared in a memorandum issued by the strategic planning department at Omni Inc. "Mesa Foods, a manufacturer of snack foods that currently markets its products within a relatively small region of the country, has strong growth potential. Me indiababy
Some people believe that college students should consider only their own talents and interests when choosing a field of study. Others believe that college students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field. utkarshece

Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11
"To serve the housing needs of our students, Buckingham College should build a number of new dormitories. Buckingham's enrollment is growing and, based on current trends, will double over the next 50 years, thus making existing dormitory space inadequate. saharpouya
GMAT Argument Writing Sample 62 essayking
The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them, not by their contemporaries.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you t utkarshece
Twenty years ago, Dr. Field, a noted anthropologist, visited the island of Tertia. Using an observation-centered approach to studying Tertian culture, he concluded from his observations that children in Tertia were reared by an entire village rather than saharpouya
Television is entirely democratic in that its content is controlled by what the people want. angel
Issue topic:"Some people believe it is often necessary, even desirable, for political leaders to withold information from the public. Others believe that the public has a right to be fully informed." s
GMAT Issue Writing Sample 5 essayking
The well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and s nargess1981
As we acquire more knowledge, things do not become more comprehensible, but more complex and mysterious.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take nbkru2f sticky icon

In a study of the reading habits of Waymarsh citizens conducted by the University of Waymarsh, most respondents said they preferred literary classics as reading material. However, a second study conducted by the same researchers found that the type of boo nbkru2f sticky icon
Claim: It is no longer possible for a society to regard any living man or woman as a hero.Reason: The reputation of anyone who is subjected to media scrutiny will eventually be diminished.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree nbkru2f sticky icon
Claim: Major policy decisions should always be left to politicians and other government experts. Chengyuan Cai sticky icon
"It takes a village to raise a child. The education of our children is the task of community as a whole, not merely the province of the teachers and local school administrators". shraddha kc
Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently koser_2 sticky icon
The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulty obtaining reliable supplies of high-quality wool fabric, we discontinued production of nbkru2f
The following appeared in an e-mail sent by the marketing director of the Classical Shakespeare Theatre of Bardville."Over the past ten years, there has been a 20 percent decline in the size of the average audience at Classical Shakespeare Theatre product nbkru2f
Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a nbkru2f
The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a large, highly diversified company."Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two different regions. The buildings were erected by two differe nbkru2f sticky icon

The best test of an argument is the argument's ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint. saharpouya
A recent sales study indicates that consumption of seafood dishes in Bay City restaurants has increased by 30 percent during the past five years. Yet there are no currently operating city restaurants whose specialty is seafood. Moreover, the majority of f nbkru2f
There is now evidence that the relaxed pace of life in small towns promotes better health and greater longevity than does the hectic pace of life in big cities. Businesses in the small town of Leeville report fewer days of sick leave taken by individual w nbkru2f
"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys dreamlizz

Sentence: If crossing Brim River by boat is the only way to enter Lithos,then it will strength the argument, However, if there are other plausible routes, then the argument will not be supported.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to will and strength

Sentence: Thus, it's entirely possible that they can across Brim River in winter when the river is frozen or during the drought when little water is in there.
Description: A modal auxillary is not usually followed by a preposition
Suggestion: Refer to can and across

The arguments are good enough.