Claim: Any piece of information referred to as a fact should be mistrusted, since it may well be proven false in the future.Reason: Much of the information that people assume is factual actually turns out to be inaccurate.

Claim: Any piece of information referred to as a fact should be mistrusted, since it may well be proven false in the future.
Reason: Much of the information that people assume is factual actually turns out to be inaccurate.

People assume much of the information "factual" by their common sense or based on the knowledge they have learned. These "factual" events to some extent always turn out to be inaccurate. So we can say that there is no universal absolute. However, this does not mean that any piece of information referred to as a "fact" should be mistrusted. As long as there is persuasive evidence and proof, the "fact" can be trusted until it encounters a new theory to overturn it.

Before and during the mid-centuries, all humans believed that our mother planet Earth was the center of space, and that all stars and planets out in the universe orbited around Earth. Everyone considered this information as a fact and no one ever doubted it. Until Nicolaus Copernicus, who was brave enough to stand out and raise his voice for his new discovery: instead of the Earth being the center of the universe, the actual center of our space is the sun. This was an astonishing discovery for it was so contradicted to the previous "fact". It was hard for people to trust and everyone thought he was insane. However, after decades of studies and researches, it is to people nowadays a fact that the sun is the center of the universe. And the previous fact seems such a joke now. If Nicolaus Copernicus had not pointed out this mistake had we humans still lived under the belief of this "joke".

Another great example happened with the famous adventurist Ferdinand Magellan. Had he not set foot and sail across the unknown seas would we people nowadays still be convinced that the world is flat. It is through Columbus's real experience that he proved the information which was assumed "factual" inaccurate. However, in the present time the theory "the world is flat" has come upon again, but referring to the increasing progress made by information technology development. Does this mean that the previous fact is not true? Or should we never have faith in any theory or piece of information?

Though Nicolaus Copernicus, Ferdinand Magellan and many previous examples have led us to the conclusion that what people once declared was "factual” would eventually be proven false, there still should be faith in what we assume factual nowadays. For if no belief in anything, then what to believe in?