Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

I strongly disagree with the assertion that the educational institutions should preclude students from choosing the fields they are interested in or they are eager for. As a college student facing the selection of the more specific field, some examples can be presented to develop my point of view.

First, how do the educational institutions judge the students who are not allowed to pursue the certain area? By the performance of the school works? That's very skin-scratching. Take myself for example, I am not good at the school works in the university, but not only did I do a great job on the important monograph that required in our department, but also won the first place in the monograph competition later. It's unfair to judge a student just by the grades he or she got.

Finally, most students choose the field they want to study is because they are interested in the area instead of the others. If I have an interest in a certain area, it will give me more impetus to study the knowledge of the field than the area which I am not interested. With the ardent willing to acquire new knowledge and skills, I assure that it will have much more chances to succeed than wasting time on studying the new stuffs of the field I am not interested.