Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and suppo

Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to address the most compelling reasons and/or examples that could be used to challenge your position.

Most students often, find themselves studying a course they are not suitable for. They choose such courses during the time of application for several reasons – they may have been forced by their parents or relatives to choose the course or because they have been told that the course has high rate of employability. Eventually, because they are not suitable for such courses, they end up with bad results upon graduation. Some may not even be able to complete the program. Education is not just about employment, it is about the life of the people who pass through it. Therefore I strongly support the opinion that universities should dissuade students from pursuing study in which they are unlikely to succeed.

Think of a student who enrolled into a program but could not graduate from the program. Have you thought of the psychological effects? The student will consider him or herself a failure and most times end up in destruction. Some may graduate but with poor result. Employers nowadays consider only people with good results as ones suitable for employment. I have seen adverts for job where the criterion is strictly second class honors and upper division. Frustration can cause several negative effects on such a person.

Also, student results affect the overall perception of the university. Universities who produce students with good result are most likely to attract more funds for its researches and scholarships for its students. Thus a university will be doing itself a great service when it dissuades students from studying such programs in which they are not likely to succeed. In assessing the university, the public will not consider the capabilities of the students in relation to the courses they study but will be looking at the overall achievements of the university.

Finally, after counseling students on what programs will be more suitable to them, a great number will still insist on the programs of their choice. However, through an analysis of the result of students who insisted on studying the programs of their choice, students, parents and sponsors will come to believe in the advice of the university.