"Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall st

"Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall student grade averages at Omega have risen by 30 percent. Potential employers, looking at this dramatic rise in grades, believe that grades at Omega are inflated and do not accurately reflect student achievement; as a result, Omega graduates have not been as successful at getting jobs as have graduates from nearby Alpha University. To enable its graduates to secure better jobs, Omega University should terminate student evaluation of professors."

Write a response in which you discuss what specific evidence is needed to evaluate the argument and explain how the evidence would weaken or strengthen the argument.

The situation presented in the argument is a very grave one. The problems that the students at omega University are facing due to a lack of trust shown by potential employers demand a serious enquiry. However, the suggestion of terminating the student evaluation of professors for a suspected connection with the situation requires proof beyond mere speculation.

Many notable universities have a system in place for evaluation of professors by students. These are not only directly helpful for the concerned professor in areas that require improvement, but also allow for a direct action-plan by the senior leadership. Not to forget, any positive feedback is motivating in itself. However, it is a common understanding that such evaluations do not influence the grading system that a professor follows. Various specific instructions, as well as precautions are taken at the time of designing such questionnaires to ensure the same. Furthermore, the timing of such evaluations are during regular classes, always before any examinations. Hence, it does not seem very logical that such feedbacks would influence the grades the professors allot to the students after the examinations. In lieu of confirming that such practices are being followed diligently, we would require you to provide us with a sample of the centrally designed evaluation questionnaire / form that is used at the Omega university, in addition to the schedules followed for carrying out such evaluations.

Nevertheless, fifteen years is a very long time for long serving professors to carry-on with any suspicious activity of such sort, if at all it was ever done in the first place. Entire new batches are introduced every year, having no previous contact with the existing professors. It is highly unlikely that such freshmen would be intimidating enough for professor to fear for the evaluation results. This may be investigated further by looking for what, if any, measures have been taken in the time during this period directly as a result of such evaluation procedures, that have been potentially threatening enough to the professors to take such steps intentionally.

Also, it being the same time, since when such evaluation procedure was put into place, and since the average grades have been reported to have risen, may also be a mere coincidence. There could have been other changes, like new curriculum, or introduction of various digital technologies, which could have augmented the learning process of the students. In fact, it would be perfectly fine to assume that some positive measures taken by professors acting upon the feedback from the students could have improved the overall ability of the students to score better at their exams. Have you evaluated the performance of the students from Omega University in various national level exams that which are not in direct control of the professors? If the performance are similarly favourable as that in the university exams, showing similar rise in the grades since the time, the suspicion would be proven false. We would highly recommend you collect such data for the time period, in addition to focusing on various other improvements put into place by the university and professors that could potentially result in a better performance of the students.

However, there is still the issue of mistrust shown by potential employers towards the results. Have they explicitly stated any concerns suspicious of the inflated grades at the university? If yes, what actions were taken in order to investigate the issue? Was the problem rectified? And, were these employers notified for the steps taken? The corporate world highly regards such transparency and swiftness shown in handling such concerns. Whereas any slip-up in their trust, for any reason, is potentially harmful, and very hard to rectify.

On the other hand, what if the problem is not due to the rise in the average grades at all? Job interviewers scrutinize the applicants based on various criteria. These may go well beyond the technical knowledge that a prospect has. They also look at other areas for strength, like communication skills, team spirit, leadership qualities, etc. Have the students at Omega university been evaluated for such soft skills? It is usually reported that the most studious and technically strong students severely lack in such areas. In fact, it is also a common practice, and often mandatory, for educational institutes to put in place courses, talks, trainings, and other means to prepare the students for better performance specifically at job interviews. Has Omega university taken any steps in this regard?

In addition to that, you have reported that students at Alpha University had been more successful at securing such jobs. Hence, our suggestion would be to request the above data for then, as far as they feel comfortable to share, in order to have a better comparison. Maybe, such hike in student performance and similar procedures for evaluation of the professors exist there too, but certain other measures that concentrate on grooming the students for better job prospects could have played a positive role.

In the end, we acknowledge the legitimacy as well as the seriousness of the concern raised, but due to the proven benefits of such evaluation procedures, a far more concrete set of evidence would be required before any definitive action is taken in of the suggestion put forward.

Sentence: If the performance are similarly favourable as that in the university exams, showing similar rise in the grades since the time, the suspicion would be proven false.
Description: The fragment If the performance is not usually followed by are
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace are with is

No. of Words: 872 350 (write the essay in half an hour)

better to have 5 paragraphs:

para 1: introduction.
para 2: reason 1
para 3: reason 2
para 4: reason 3 (optional)
para 5: conclusion