The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a journal on environmental issues."Over the past year, the Crust Copper Company (CCC) has purchased over 10,000 square miles of land in the tropical nation of West Fredonia. Mining copper on this land wi

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a journal on environmental issues.
"Over the past year, the Crust Copper Company (CCC) has purchased over 10,000 square miles of land in the tropical nation of West Fredonia. Mining copper on this land will inevitably result in pollution and, since West Fredonia is the home of several endangered animal species, in environmental disaster. But such disasters can be prevented if consumers simply refuse to purchase products that are made with CCC's copper unless the company abandons its mining plans."
Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

The author of the passage concludes that by refusing to buy any products from Crust Copper Company (CCC) will abandon the plans of the company to mine copper in West Fredonia. The author makes several assumptions like CCC have bought the land for mining copper not for other reasons. He further makes another assumption that environmental disasters have caused the endangerment of animal species. He also makes a strong assumption by concluding that refusing to buy any CCC’s copper will abandon their mining plan

The author states that over the past year CCC has purchased 10,000 square miles of land in West Fredonia for mining. The author makes an assumption that land bought was for mining and not for other purposes. The company might be expanding in other areas may be building a ware house for storing and distributing to places nearby or they may be building houses or changing their area to housing company. Therefore the land purchased might be for other reasons not just for mining.

The author states that environmental disasters are the cause of endangered species. The author makes no references of any environmental disasters causing endangerment of species. The causes for endangerment may be hunting for recreational purpose and economic value. The author’s assumption that environmental disaster like pollution from mining has caused endangerment of species in W.Fredonia is not well supported.

The author concludes strongly with assumption that refusing to buy products from CCC will abandon their plan to mine copper in W.Fredonia. The author’s assumption is too strong because he considers that people from Fredonia refusal may have impact on selling of Copper products. The loss from sale of W.Fredonia may not be much when compared to the profits obtained from the land mining. So the author cannot conclude that refusal to buy will have impact on the Company.

The argument can be made strong by providing more evidence to assumptions that land purchased by W.Fredonia is for mining and not for other purposes. The author should provide more evidences for the causes of endangerment of species in W.Fredonia and any proofs that previous mining resulted in such disaster. The conclusion that W.Fredonia is a huge market for Crust Copper Company and their refusal to buy products will have severe impact on profit of CCC. However, the argument that refusal to buy any Crust Copper Company products will change plan of copper mining is flawed

The argument 1 - NOT OK -- It is true from the topic that CCC has purchased 10,000 square miles of land in West Fredonia for mining.

The argument 2 - not OK

The argument 3 - OK