The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown:"If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Late last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown:
"If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Late last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed a law requiring that all households recycle paper and glass, or pay a fine. Since that time, Hayesworth has seen its garbage disposal costs significantly decrease. If we implemented an advertising campaign encouraging our residents to recycle, Masontown would also save money on disposal of its waste"

The argument that forcing residents to recycle garbage or, otherwise, they have to pay a fine, may seem tenable at first glance. However, the conclusion relies on assumption for which there is no clear evidence and on terms that lack definition.

First, the writer assumes that due to encouraging residents to recycle the government will decrease municipal garbage disposal costs, but there is no supporting argument about expenditures on recycling. If residents decide to reuse garbage, the authority should establish more recycle machines in the streets and obviously, to ameliorate the recycle plant and all necessary equipment for this process.

The writer gives an example of the similar problem in the neighboring town and, how the authorities decided this problem. Giving this example, the writer assumes that the same measures will be implemented: the households have to pay the fine, if they will not follow the municipal instructions. Considerably, this kind of government leverage is really effective, but only for budget efficacy and can be encounter negatively by residents. Due to compelling people to do something is not rewarding and encouraging. The government can do the same without strict measures, but changing residents consciousness in environmental protection. For instance, it can be a promotion of ecological problems and its consequences.

After all, the argument's conclusion requires the support of evidence demonstrating that such policy will reduce exactly municipal disposal fees.

No. of Words: 230 350 (need more words: at least 350)
Use of Discourse Markers (%): 0.818 0.12 (check out online how to remove Discourse Markers)