You are hereThe following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in th

The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in th

shina's picture

By shina - Posted on 09 September 2012

the 'top dog' marketing director proposed start advertising in the magazine exotic pets monthly to increased the profit. the reasons are first , five year ago a fish emporium started advertisement and sell is increased by 15 percent. 2nd reason is given by the three fish emporium stores in gulf city saw even greater increase than that. reading this argument in starting it seems true but when the argument is deeply analyze there are flaws, it require more evidence to support the argument

firstly, there is no information provided about the fish emporium store , may be the store provide some discount offer, or there may be another item for cell like antique pieces, gift store etc. the information about the fish store is needed to compare the business.

secondly, comparison between a fish emporium store and a dog store is worthless. both are the different things. some people like fishes as a pet and some like dogs or both. the selling of pets in the city is dependent only on the interest of the people. dogs as pet demand more expenses and fishes demand less. may be people prefer fishes as a pet.

moreover, the fish emporium advertised five year ago .it is worthless to compare the situation now and five year ago. furthermore, the selling statics of fish emporium is not provided, may be the emporium sell was very low and after the advertisement it increase 15 percent, may be selling is still average, or below average.

15 percent increment in sell is not a huge profit , it demands statics to show before and after the no. of person who purchases fish emporium. may be the advertisement cost is high.

in sum, the argument needs more evidence to support the statement. the inference drawn by the argument is fallacious. to bolster the argument the author should provide information about the store situation, statics of store and the interest of the person. after proper analyze the situation we can get the desired outcome.

As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate galitb84 sticky icon
Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive. maryam2900
The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company. - "According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in Tim
"What most human beings really want to attain is not knowledge, but certainty. Gaining real knowledge requires taking risks and keeping the mind open—but most people prefer to be reassured rather than to learn the complex and often unsettling truth about hossein021
According to a recent report, cheating among college and university students is on the rise. However, Groveton College has successfully reduced student cheating by adopting an honor code, which calls for students to agree not to cheat in their academic en nilka61 sticky icon
The following appeared in a letter from the owner of the Sunnyside Towers apartment complex to its manager."One month ago, all the showerheads in the first three buildings of the Sunnyside Towers complex were modified to restrict maximum water flow to one lngsa sticky icon
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. moonlove
All college and university students would benefit from spending at least one semester studying in a foreign country. micawoli sticky icon
“The Smith Corporation should not be permitted to develop the land that is now part of the Youngtown Wildlife Preserve. This sanctuary is essential to the survival of the 300 bird species that live in our area. Although only a small percentage of the land sylar
"Too much emphasis has been placed on the need for students to challenge the assertions of others. In fact, the ability to compromise and work with others—that is, the ability to achieve social harmony—should be a major goal in every school." hossein021

Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a Thupten Tsering GMAT/GRE
Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11 GMAT/GRE
People should undertake risky action only after they have carefully considered its consequences. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. maxchen GMAT/GRE
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. wasainika17 GMAT/GRE
People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting fiddo GMAT/GRE
Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. f26194572 GMAT/GRE
"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the numb maryam2900 GMAT/GRE
Nations should pass laws to preserve any remaining wilderness areas in their natural state, even if these areas could be developed for economic gain.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position shiva jab GMAT/GRE
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. maryam2900 GMAT/GRE
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoni aschocolate GMAT/GRE

"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for e darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Historians and other social scientists are as useful to society as are the biochemists and engineers because society's ill cannot be cured by technological progresses alone. ana-mika sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"It is often asserted that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. In reality, however, formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free." Maulik Modi sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. Hma GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertisin darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. singhya sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Maulik Modi GMAT/GRE Argument Task
The following is from a recent email by the Diord Corp. Human Resources l\Ianager: "Tobor Technologies found that mental health problems and mental illness were responsible for about 15 percent of employee sick days. Tobor amended its employee insurance p Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species darsh GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to add Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Issue Task

Some people believe that in order to be effective, political leaders must yield to public opinion and abandon principle for the sake of compromise. Others believe that the most essential quality of an effective leader is the ability to remain consistently vp.sumit GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared in a memo from the manager of Uppercuts hair salon:"According to a nationwide demographic study more and more people today are moving from suburbs to downtown areas. In order to boost sagging profits at Uppercuts, we should take adv ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Plaza store owners believe that the decrease in their business is due to the numb vp.sumit GMAT/GRE Argument Task

Sentence: the 'top dog' marketing director proposed start advertising in the magazine exotic pets monthly to increased the profit. the reasons are first , five year ago a fish emporium started advertisement and sell is increased by 15 percent.
Description: A noun, singular, common is not usually followed by an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to magazine and exotic
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to to and increased

Sentence: 2nd reason is given by the three fish emporium stores in gulf city saw even greater increase than that. reading this argument in starting it seems true but when the argument is deeply analyze there are flaws, it require more evidence to support the argument
Description: The fragment it require more is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace require with verb, past tense

Sentence: firstly, there is no information provided about the fish emporium store , may be the store provide some discount offer, or there may be another item for cell like antique pieces, gift store etc. the information about the fish store is needed to compare the business.
Description: The fragment store provide some is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace provide with verb, present tense, 3rd person singular

Sentence: moreover, the fish emporium advertised five year ago .it is worthless to compare the situation now and five year ago. furthermore, the selling statics of fish emporium is not provided, may be the emporium sell was very low and after the advertisement it increase 15 percent, may be selling is still average, or below average.
Description: The word sell is not usually used as a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to sell , did you mean cell
Description: The fragment it increase 15 is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace increase with verb, past tense