You are hereThe following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in th

The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in th

shina's picture

By shina - Posted on 09 September 2012

The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores.

"Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in the magazine. The three Fish Emporium stores in Gulf City saw an even greater increase than that. Because Top Dog Pet Stores is based in Gulf City, it seems clear that we should start placing our own ads in Exotic Pets Monthly. If we do so, we will be sure to reverse the recent trend of declining sales and start making a profit again."

the 'top dog' marketing director proposed start advertising in the magazine exotic pets monthly to increased the profit. the reasons are first , five year ago a fish emporium started advertisement and sell is increased by 15 percent. 2nd reason is given by the three fish emporium stores in gulf city saw even greater increase than that. reading this argument in starting it seems true but when the argument is deeply analyze there are flaws, it require more evidence to support the argument

firstly, there is no information provided about the fish emporium store , may be the store provide some discount offer, or there may be another item for cell like antique pieces, gift store etc. the information about the fish store is needed to compare the business.

secondly, comparison between a fish emporium store and a dog store is worthless. both are the different things. some people like fishes as a pet and some like dogs or both. the selling of pets in the city is dependent only on the interest of the people. dogs as pet demand more expenses and fishes demand less. may be people prefer fishes as a pet.

moreover, the fish emporium advertised five year ago .it is worthless to compare the situation now and five year ago. furthermore, the selling statics of fish emporium is not provided, may be the emporium sell was very low and after the advertisement it increase 15 percent, may be selling is still average, or below average.

15 percent increment in sell is not a huge profit , it demands statics to show before and after the no. of person who purchases fish emporium. may be the advertisement cost is high.

in sum, the argument needs more evidence to support the statement. the inference drawn by the argument is fallacious. to bolster the argument the author should provide information about the store situation, statics of store and the interest of the person. after proper analyze the situation we can get the desired outcome.

The following appeared in a letter to the editor of a local newspaper in Masontown:" If we want to save money on municipal garbage disposal fees, we need to encourage our residents to recycle more. Last year, our neighboring town, Hayesworth, passed a law s sticky icon
Young people should be encouraged to pursue long-term, realistic goals rather than seek immediate fame and recognition.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for t kumargaurav1017
A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. rswetha88
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa Ly Phuong Thao
GMAT Issue Writing Sample 27 essayking
The following appeared in the opinion section of a national newsmagazine: “To reverse the deterioration of the postal service, the government should raise the price of postage stamps. This solution will no doubt prove effective, since the price increase w thakur.shikha1@...
ISSUE(94)The effectiveness of a country’s leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens. untermrad
To understand the important characteristic of a society, one must study its major cities. EverGrowOld sticky icon
The following appeared as part of an editorial in a campus newspaper:“With an increasing demand for highly skilled workers, this nation will soon face a serious labor shortage. New positions in technical and professional occupations are increasing rapidly mujgan.kaya
College students should base their choice of a field of study on the availability of jobs in that field. abadki sticky icon

Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a Thupten Tsering GMAT/GRE
Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11 GMAT/GRE
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. wasainika17 GMAT/GRE
Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. f26194572 GMAT/GRE
"One month ago, all the showerheads in the first three buildings of the Sunnyside Towers complex were modified to restrict maximum water flow to one-third of what it used to be. Although actual readings of water usage before and after the adjustment are n vp.sumit GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa sh_shashi1 GMAT/GRE
Nations should pass laws to preserve any remaining wilderness areas in their natural state, even if these areas could be developed for economic gain.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position guds GMAT/GRE
Argument(5): The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette:One Balmer island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of acc untermrad GMAT/GRE
Nations should pass laws to preserve any remaining wilderness areas in their natural state, even if these areas could be developed for economic gain.Write a response in which you discuss your views on the policy and explain your reasoning for the position shiva jab GMAT/GRE
To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In deve shinjini92 GMAT/GRE

"It is often asserted that the purpose of education is to free the mind and the spirit. In reality, however, formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free." Maulik Modi sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Claim: In order to help small businesses thrive, government should play a minimal role in private business matters.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. Maulik Modi sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Maulik Modi GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall st Atharva sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. singhya sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
All too often, companies hire outside consultants to suggest ways for the company to operate more efficiently. If the companies were to spend more time listening to their own employees, such consultants would be unnecessary.Write a response in which you d ana-mika GMAT/GRE Issue Task
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate. Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reason xiaoyangyangyangyang GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species darsh GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Claiton University needs both affordable housing for its students and a way to fund the building of such housing. The best solution to this problem is to commission a famous architect known for experimental and futuristic buildings. It is common knowledge ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task

Claim: The best test of an argument is its ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint.Reason: Only by being forced to defend an idea against the doubts and contrasting views of others does one really discover the value of that idea. aminjavadi GMAT/GRE Issue Task

Sentence: the 'top dog' marketing director proposed start advertising in the magazine exotic pets monthly to increased the profit. the reasons are first , five year ago a fish emporium started advertisement and sell is increased by 15 percent.
Description: A noun, singular, common is not usually followed by an adjective
Suggestion: Refer to magazine and exotic
Description: The token to is not usually followed by a verb, past participle
Suggestion: Refer to to and increased

Sentence: 2nd reason is given by the three fish emporium stores in gulf city saw even greater increase than that. reading this argument in starting it seems true but when the argument is deeply analyze there are flaws, it require more evidence to support the argument
Description: The fragment it require more is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace require with verb, past tense

Sentence: firstly, there is no information provided about the fish emporium store , may be the store provide some discount offer, or there may be another item for cell like antique pieces, gift store etc. the information about the fish store is needed to compare the business.
Description: The fragment store provide some is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace provide with verb, present tense, 3rd person singular

Sentence: moreover, the fish emporium advertised five year ago .it is worthless to compare the situation now and five year ago. furthermore, the selling statics of fish emporium is not provided, may be the emporium sell was very low and after the advertisement it increase 15 percent, may be selling is still average, or below average.
Description: The word sell is not usually used as a noun, singular, common
Suggestion: Refer to sell , did you mean cell
Description: The fragment it increase 15 is rare
Suggestion: Possible agreement error: Replace increase with verb, past tense