You are hereThe following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in th

The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores. "Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in th

shina's picture

By shina - Posted on 09 September 2012

The following appeared in a memo from the marketing director of Top Dog Pet Stores.

"Five years ago Fish Emporium started advertising in the magazine Exotic Pets Monthly. Their stores saw sales increase by 15 percent after their ads began appearing in the magazine. The three Fish Emporium stores in Gulf City saw an even greater increase than that. Because Top Dog Pet Stores is based in Gulf City, it seems clear that we should start placing our own ads in Exotic Pets Monthly. If we do so, we will be sure to reverse the recent trend of declining sales and start making a profit again."

the 'top dog' marketing director proposed start advertising in the magazine exotic pets monthly to increased the profit. the reasons are first , five year ago a fish emporium started advertisement and sell is increased by 15 percent. 2nd reason is given by the three fish emporium stores in gulf city saw even greater increase than that. reading this argument in starting it seems true but when the argument is deeply analyze there are flaws, it require more evidence to support the argument

firstly, there is no information provided about the fish emporium store , may be the store provide some discount offer, or there may be another item for cell like antique pieces, gift store etc. the information about the fish store is needed to compare the business.

secondly, comparison between a fish emporium store and a dog store is worthless. both are the different things. some people like fishes as a pet and some like dogs or both. the selling of pets in the city is dependent only on the interest of the people. dogs as pet demand more expenses and fishes demand less. may be people prefer fishes as a pet.

moreover, the fish emporium advertised five year ago .it is worthless to compare the situation now and five year ago. furthermore, the selling statics of fish emporium is not provided, may be the emporium sell was very low and after the advertisement it increase 15 percent, may be selling is still average, or below average.

15 percent increment in sell is not a huge profit , it demands statics to show before and after the no. of person who purchases fish emporium. may be the advertisement cost is high.

in sum, the argument needs more evidence to support the statement. the inference drawn by the argument is fallacious. to bolster the argument the author should provide information about the store situation, statics of store and the interest of the person. after proper analyze the situation we can get the desired outcome.