The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing. "During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter tha

The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of Quiot Manufacturing. "During the past year, Quiot Manufacturing had 30 percent more on-the-job accidents than at the nearby Panoply Industries plant, where the work shifts are one hour shorter than ours. Experts say that significant contributing factors in many on-the-job accidents are fatigue and sleep deprivation among workers. Therefore, to reduce the number of on-the-job accidents at Quiot and thereby increase productivity, we should shorten each of our three work shifts by one hour so that employees will get adequate amounts of sleep."

Write a response in which you examine the stated and/or unstated assumptions of the argument. Be sure to explain how the argument depends on these assumptions and what the implications are for the argument if the assumptions prove unwarranted.

In the given passage, it is stated that in Quiot manufacturing, the number of job accidents are more than Panoply Plant. Author is assuming that less work shift hours at Panoply plant, are responible for less on job accidents. It is mentioned that major causes of on-job-accidents are deficiency of sleep and tiredness. As conclusion, author has suggested to reduce the hours of working shift to reduce the on-job accidents in Quiot Plant.

Firstly, author has given the statistics of 30 percent more on job accidents in Quiot Manufacturing as compare to Panoply Plant. There are some premises here:- Are both the plants are manufacturing same type of productions? What are the on job risk factors of both the plants? What are the other working conditions of these plant? These all questionable premises sholud be answered to make a strong basis for comparison.

Secondly, author is assuming that less working hours at the Panoply Plant leads to less number of accidents. This assumption seems to be weaken without reasonable facts and consideration. According to the experts sleep deficiency and fatigue are the factors for on job accidents. But it is not necessary that these same causes can be applied to Quiot Plant responsible for on job accidents. It would have been possible that manufacturing process is too risky there or the machinery which the workers are using is not reliable and causing accidents. So detailed investigation should be done to explore the reasons for on job accidents.

To reduce the number of accidents, author has suggested to decrease the working hours of each shift. This can be helpful but its consequences to reduce the accidents and to increase the productivity are not sure shot. There can be several other ways like provide training to workers for the efficient and safe use of machinary, to provide healthy working environment, flexibility of their shift timings according to their requirements which may be helpful in both , to increase the productivity and to reduce the on job accidents.

So for the comparisons of both the plants, the attributes should be same then only we can accept the strategy of reducing the working hours. To increase productivity and to curtail the on job accidents, the detail investigation should be done and strategies should be decided accordingly with reference to working environment of Quiot plant.

Sentence: Firstly, author has given the statistics of 30 percent more on job accidents in Quiot Manufacturing as compare to Panoply Plant.
Description: A conjunction, subordinating is not usually followed by a verb, base: uninflected present, imperative or infinitive
Suggestion: Refer to as and compare

Sentence: What are the on job risk factors of both the plants?
Description: The tag an article is not usually followed by on
Suggestion: Refer to the and on

Sentence: Author is assuming that less work shift hours at Panoply plant, are responible for less on job accidents.
Error: responible Suggestion: responsible

Sentence: These all questionable premises sholud be answered to make a strong basis for comparison.
Error: sholud Suggestion: should

Sentence: There can be several other ways like provide training to workers for the efficient and safe use of machinary, to provide healthy working environment, flexibility of their shift timings according to their requirements which may be helpful in both , to increase the productivity and to reduce the on job accidents.
Error: machinary Suggestion: machinery