The following appeared in a memorandum from the human resources department of Diversified Manufacturing:“Managers at our central office report that their employees tend to be most productive in the days immediately preceding a vacation. To help counteract

The following appeared in a memorandum from the human resources department of Diversified Manufacturing:

“Managers at our central office report that their employees tend to be most productive in the days immediately preceding a vacation. To help counteract our declining market share, we could increase the productivity of our professional staff members, who currently receive four weeks paid vacation a year, by limiting them to a maximum of one week’s continuous vacation time. They will thus take more vacation breaks during a year and give us more days of maximum productivity.”

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. In your discussion, be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the conclusion. You can also discuss what sort of evidence would strengthen or refute the argument, what changes in the argument would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion. (used with permission from mba.com)

The argument above states that the productivity of the employees are higher before vacations and in order to raise the productivity of the company, the vacation duration will be shorter but more frequent in each year. The argument relies on several unsupported assumptions and therefore fails to be persuasive.

The argument is rooted in the assumption that the productivity of the employees tend to be higher before vacations. However, the author provides no evidence to support this key assumption. Maybe the productivity of the labors are higher during summer because of more daylight that they ...