The following appeared as part of a campaign to sell advertising time on a local radio station to local businesses:“The Cumquat Café began advertising on our local radio station this year and was delighted to see its business increase by 10 percent ove

The following appeared as part of a campaign to sell advertising time on a local radio station to local businesses:

“The Cumquat Café began advertising on our local radio station this year and was delighted to see its business increase by 10 percent over last year’s totals. Their success shows you how you can use radio advertising to make your business more profitable.”

The argument that Cumquant Café began advertising on a local radio channel and it was delighted to see its business increase by 10 percent of last year’s total raises some important concerns that must be addressed to substantiate the argument. Further, the author concludes by stating that the success of Cumquant Café shows how you can use radio advertising to make your business profitable. This alone does not constitute a logical argument and it certainly does not provide support or proof to the main argument.

Most inadequately, the argument does not address the size or nature of the business that can be considered for radio advertising. There are many businesses that are small turn key contracts and they do not require any advertising as they are consumer specific. Similarly, there are some franchise based businesses that require a lot of marketing advertisement and radio solely cannot serve this purpose.

First, the argument assumes that radio advertising increases the business productivity by a very big margin. In a weak attempt to support the claim, the argument gives the evidence of Comquant Café where the business increased by 10 percent compared to last years total. There is a possibility that this marginal increase was automated by the nature of the business itself and radio advertising played a negligible role in it.

Second, the argument never addresses the other means of advertising Comquant Café has subscribed for. It is quite possible that modern means of advertising such as the television or internet has been used because radio advertising has become outdated and obsolete. Other factors such as population density and nature, consumption patterns, topographical conditions must also be considered for selecting a mode for business advertising.

Finally, the argument does not address what if the 10 percent increase in profit was not very great compared to the data of past several years. A detailed data sheet comparing data from past years would give a clear picture on the effectiveness of radio advertising.

Because the argument leaves out several key issues, it is not sound or persuasive. If it included the items discussed above instead of solely concluding on the basis of profit results from Comquant Café, the argument would have been far more through and convincing.