You are hereThe following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situa

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situa

aloha871111's picture

By aloha871111 - Posted on 10 June 2012

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.

A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). The study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring."

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

In this letter, the author concludes that birth order and even being mother for the first time can affect individuals' levels of stimulation by citing a study of eighteen rhesus monkeys. At the first glance, this may be a newly exciting scientific breakthrough, however, after examining the evidence provided by the author, several other alternative explanations to the same issue could undermine the reliability of the conclusion.

The initial problem with this argument is the possible flaws in the study cited by the author. According to the introduction of the study, its subjects are eighteen rhesus monkeys. Yet, there is not quite possible that a convincing result of a study can be generated merely based on eighteen subjects. Because the size of the sample in this study is not big enough, and the smaller the sample, the less reliable the study's conclusion. Besides, the sample are selected from rhesus solely. However, can rhesus monkeys be the representative of the whole monkey species? Common sense informs people that monkey species include a rather wide range in the nature, perhaps distinct species have different physical and biological functions which may lead to the opposite outcomes. What's more, the author fails to offer the detail information of those monkeys such as their age, sex and etc. And opposite sex can decide different responses to the same environment, as well as different age. Unless the author takes into account all those possible alternative explanations, the study cited in the letter can only undermine its reliability by its own.

Another hidden flaw in the letter is that, the author simply equates the situation of the birth order with that of fist-time being mother. The author assumes that, according to the study in which the fist born monkeys can generate a high level of cortisol so can first-time mother monkeys, the cause and effect of the high level of cortisol between the first born monkeys and first-time mother monkeys are the same. However, other alternative explanations may cast doubts on this assumption. Perhaps, the reason that those first-time mother monkeys generate such a high level of cortisol may not result from the need that they have to regulate their activity levels to confront the stimulating environment but a type of self-regulation to balance internal levels of hormones. This scenario, if true, would serve to weaken the author's conclusion.

Even though the two possibilities mentioned above are proved to be true, however, the author hastily assumes that there is no alternative explanations for the similar responses generated by monkeys and humans. However, merely resting the assumption on the unilateral and superficial phenomenon is unconvincing and cursory. Even though monkeys and humans are all mammals and there is some inherent relationship between them, however, they are still two independent and utterly distinct kind of species which means their physical functions and structures can be total different. Therefore, without providing well-rounded and scientific research of humans and ruling out these and other possible explanations behind it, the author's conclusion can not be reasonably established.

To sum up, the internally physical and biological functions of animals and humans are extremely intricate that there are still mysterious problems can not be fully solved and understood. The conclusion made by the author rests barely on an inaccurate study and superficial phenomena which are irresponsible and non-scientific. To strengthen the argument, years' researches and comparsons are required and also a rigorous attitude to science.

Argument Type - The following appeared in a memo from the president of Bower Builders, a company that constructs new homes. "A nationwide survey reveals that the two most-desired home features are a large family room and a large, well-appointed kitchen. fdrg9iit
A nation should require all its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college rather than allow schools in different parts of the nation to determine which academic courses to offer. harsha
"As a result of numerous complaints of dizziness and nausea on the part of consumers of Promofoods tuna, the company requested that eight million cans of its tuna be returned for testing. Promofoods concluded that the canned tuna did not, after all, pose nivi1991 sticky icon
The following appeared in a letter from a firm providing investment advice to a client."Homes in the northeastern United States, where winters are typically cold, have traditionally used oil as their major fuel for heating. Last year that region experienc Kuper460
Government officials should rely on their own judgment rather than unquestioningly carry out the will of the people whom they serve.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoni champnehsam sticky icon
To understand the most important characteristics of a society, one must study its major cities.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In deve shinjini92
Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. koshelev2000
Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. angel
There is little justification for society to make extraordinary efforts—especially at a great cost in money and jobs—to save endangered animal or plant species.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statem alice8023fab sticky icon
Historians and social scientists are as useful to the society as are biochemists and engineers because society’s ills cannot be cured by technological progress alone. apoorva bhatia sticky icon

Students should always question what they are taught instead of accepting it passively.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing a Thupten Tsering GMAT/GRE
Although innovations such as video, computers, and the Internet seem to offer schools improved methods for instructing students, these technologies all too often distract from real learning. - GRE Issue 119 six11 GMAT/GRE
Argument(5): The following appeared in a letter to the editor of the Balmer Island Gazette:One Balmer island, where mopeds serve as a popular form of transportation, the population increases to 100,000 during the summer months. To reduce the number of acc untermrad GMAT/GRE
Educational institutions have a responsibility to dissuade students from pursuing fields of study in which they are unlikely to succeed. wasainika17 GMAT/GRE
Claim: Governments must ensure that their major cities receive the financial support they need in order to thrive.Reason: It is primarily in cities that a nation's cultural traditions are preserved and generated. f26194572 GMAT/GRE
A nation should require all of its students to study the same national curriculum until they enter college. patil.akh@gmail.com GMAT/GRE
A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys mercury014 GMAT/GRE
People's behavior is largely determined by forces not of their own making.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting fiddo GMAT/GRE
Some people believe that government funding of the arts is necessary to ensure that the arts can flourish and be available to all people. Others believe that government funding of the arts threatens the integrity of the arts.Write a response in which you kelesmart GMAT/GRE
The well-being of a society is enhanced when many of its people question authority.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and s teenam GMAT/GRE

Historians and other social scientists are as useful to society as are the biochemists and engineers because society's ill cannot be cured by technological progresses alone. ana-mika sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"The birthrate in our city is declining: in fact, last year's birthrate was only one-half that of five years ago. Thus the number of students enrolled in our public schools will soon decrease dramatically, and we can safely reduce the funds budgeted for e darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Formal education tends to restrain our minds and spirits rather than set them free. Hma GMAT/GRE Issue Task
"A recent study rating 300 male and female Mentian advertising executives according to the average number of hours they sleep per night showed an association between the amount of sleep the executives need and the success of their firms. Of the advertisin darsh sticky icon GMAT/GRE Argument Task
The greatness of individuals can be decided only by those who live after them not by their contemporaries. fjalalit GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared as a letter to the editor from a Central Plaza store owner."Over the past two years, the number of shoppers in Central Plaza has been steadily decreasing while the popularity of skateboarding has increased dramatically. Many Central Maulik Modi GMAT/GRE Argument Task
The following is from a recent email by the Diord Corp. Human Resources l\Ianager: "Tobor Technologies found that mental health problems and mental illness were responsible for about 15 percent of employee sick days. Tobor amended its employee insurance p Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Argument Task
"Two studies of amphibians in Xanadu National Park confirm a significant decline in the numbers of amphibians. In 1975 there were seven species of amphibians in the park, and there were abundant numbers of each species. However, in 2002 only four species darsh GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to add Aditi Bapat GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Claim: The best way to understand the character of a society is to examine the character of the men and women that the society chooses as its heroes or its role models.Reason: Heroes and role models reveal a society's highest ideals. marjunak666 GMAT/GRE Issue Task

People who are the most deeply committed to an idea or policy are also the most critical of it.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In deve rohan01 sticky icon GMAT/GRE Issue Task
The following appeared in a memo from the manager of Uppercuts hair salon:"According to a nationwide demographic study more and more people today are moving from suburbs to downtown areas. In order to boost sagging profits at Uppercuts, we should take adv ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task
Scandals are useful because they focus our attention on problems in ways that no speaker or reformer ever could. sindz03 GMAT/GRE Issue Task
Claiton University needs both affordable housing for its students and a way to fund the building of such housing. The best solution to this problem is to commission a famous architect known for experimental and futuristic buildings. It is common knowledge ana-mika GMAT/GRE Argument Task

aloha871111's picture

I think this one is a little bit professional and i can not actually find the flaws, so plz give me some advice,thx!

You got the point and argued properly.

This is a new GRE essay topic which is a bit different to those arguments essays.

You don't need to find flaws from the arguments but are asked to 'discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation...'