You are hereThe following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situa

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situa

aloha871111's picture

By aloha871111 - Posted on 10 June 2012

The following appeared as part of a letter to the editor of a scientific journal.

A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys produce up to twice as much of the hormone cortisol, which primes the body for increased activity levels, as do their younger siblings. Firstborn humans also produce relatively high levels of cortisol in stimulating situations (such as the return of a parent after an absence). The study also found that during pregnancy, first-time mother monkeys had higher levels of cortisol than did those who had had several offspring."

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

In this letter, the author concludes that birth order and even being mother for the first time can affect individuals' levels of stimulation by citing a study of eighteen rhesus monkeys. At the first glance, this may be a newly exciting scientific breakthrough, however, after examining the evidence provided by the author, several other alternative explanations to the same issue could undermine the reliability of the conclusion.

The initial problem with this argument is the possible flaws in the study cited by the author. According to the introduction of the study, its subjects are eighteen rhesus monkeys. Yet, there is not quite possible that a convincing result of a study can be generated merely based on eighteen subjects. Because the size of the sample in this study is not big enough, and the smaller the sample, the less reliable the study's conclusion. Besides, the sample are selected from rhesus solely. However, can rhesus monkeys be the representative of the whole monkey species? Common sense informs people that monkey species include a rather wide range in the nature, perhaps distinct species have different physical and biological functions which may lead to the opposite outcomes. What's more, the author fails to offer the detail information of those monkeys such as their age, sex and etc. And opposite sex can decide different responses to the same environment, as well as different age. Unless the author takes into account all those possible alternative explanations, the study cited in the letter can only undermine its reliability by its own.

Another hidden flaw in the letter is that, the author simply equates the situation of the birth order with that of fist-time being mother. The author assumes that, according to the study in which the fist born monkeys can generate a high level of cortisol so can first-time mother monkeys, the cause and effect of the high level of cortisol between the first born monkeys and first-time mother monkeys are the same. However, other alternative explanations may cast doubts on this assumption. Perhaps, the reason that those first-time mother monkeys generate such a high level of cortisol may not result from the need that they have to regulate their activity levels to confront the stimulating environment but a type of self-regulation to balance internal levels of hormones. This scenario, if true, would serve to weaken the author's conclusion.

Even though the two possibilities mentioned above are proved to be true, however, the author hastily assumes that there is no alternative explanations for the similar responses generated by monkeys and humans. However, merely resting the assumption on the unilateral and superficial phenomenon is unconvincing and cursory. Even though monkeys and humans are all mammals and there is some inherent relationship between them, however, they are still two independent and utterly distinct kind of species which means their physical functions and structures can be total different. Therefore, without providing well-rounded and scientific research of humans and ruling out these and other possible explanations behind it, the author's conclusion can not be reasonably established.

To sum up, the internally physical and biological functions of animals and humans are extremely intricate that there are still mysterious problems can not be fully solved and understood. The conclusion made by the author rests barely on an inaccurate study and superficial phenomena which are irresponsible and non-scientific. To strengthen the argument, years' researches and comparsons are required and also a rigorous attitude to science.

apastyRag Ethiopia

User comment: I just want to chat in English for a while to improve my speaking skills

Fifteen years ago, Omega University implemented a new procedure that encouraged students to evaluate the teaching effectiveness of all their professors. Since that time, Omega professors have begun to assign higher grades in their classes, and overall stu Doan Nguyen
Governments should offer a free university education to any student who has been admitted to a university but who cannot afford the tuition. Newtogre123
The following appeared in a memo from the new vice president of Sartorian, a company that manufactures men's clothing."Five years ago, at a time when we had difficulties in obtaining reliable supplies of high quality wool fabric, we discontinued productio kumargaurav1017 sticky icon
The council of Maple County, concerned about the county's becoming overdeveloped, is debating a proposed measure that would prevent the development of existing farmland in the county. But the council is also concerned that such a restriction, by limiting aarkadatta
Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be sure to add yjc1989
A true university education encompasses far more than the narrow, specialized study of a single discipline. Only through exploring the broad spectrum of liberal arts courses can students become truly learned. shefali saxena
All too often, companies hire outside consultants to suggest ways for company to operate more efficiently. If companies were to spend more time listening to their own employees, such consultants would be unnecessary. (I have presented the following essay koruboyy
The following was written as a part of an application for a small-business loan by a group of developers in the city of Monroe."A jazz music club in Monroe would be a tremendously profitable enterprise. Currently, the nearest jazz club is 65 miles away; t madame
The following is a memorandum from the business manager of a television station."Over the past year, our late-night news program has devoted increased time to national news and less time to weather and local news. During this period, most of the complaint aarkadatta
GMAT Argument Writing Sample 49 essayking

"The surface of a section of Route 101, paved just two years ago by Good Intentions Roadways, is now badly cracked with a number of dangerous potholes. In another part of the state, a section of Route 40, paved by Appian Roadways more than four years ago, saharpouya
Men and women, because of their inherent physical differences, are not equally suited for many tasks. dreamlizz
The following is a recommendation from the personnel director to the president of Acme Publishing Company."Many other companies have recently stated that having their employees take the Easy Read Speed-Reading Course has greatly improved productivity. One nbkru2f sticky icon
Governments should invest as much in the arts as they do in the military.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and suppor koser_2
To understand the most important characteristics of society, one must study it's major cities. dreamlizz
In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past achievements within that field. 2971 sticky icon
The best ideas arise from a passionate interest in commonplace things.Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement above and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should c koser_2
The following appeared in a memo from a vice president of a large, highly diversified company."Ten years ago our company had two new office buildings constructed as regional headquarters for two different regions. The buildings were erected by two differe nbkru2f sticky icon
Critical judgment of work in any given field has little value unless it comes from someone who is an expert in that field. dreamlizz sticky icon
Colleges and universities should require their students to spend at least one semester studying in a foreign country nbkru2f

The effectiveness of a country's leaders is best measured by examining the well-being of that country's citizens.Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the claim. In developing and supporting your position, be 2971 sticky icon
Woven baskets characterized by a particular distinctive pattern have previously been found only in the immediate vicinity of the prehistoric village of Palea and therefore were believed to have been made only by the Palean people. Recently, however, archa dreamlizz
The best test of an argument is the argument's ability to convince someone with an opposing viewpoint. saharpouya
"A recent study of eighteen rhesus monkeys provides clues as to the effects of birth order on an individual's levels of stimulation. The study showed that in stimulating situations (such as an encounter with an unfamiliar monkey), firstborn infant monkeys dreamlizz

aloha871111's picture

I think this one is a little bit professional and i can not actually find the flaws, so plz give me some advice,thx!

You got the point and argued properly.

This is a new GRE essay topic which is a bit different to those arguments essays.

You don't need to find flaws from the arguments but are asked to 'discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation...'