The following is a letter from an editor at Liber Publishing Company to the company's president. "In recent years, Liber has unfortunately moved away from its original mission: to publish the works of regional small-town authors instead of those of big-c

The following is a letter from an editor at Liber Publishing Company to the company's president.

"In recent years, Liber has unfortunately moved away from its original mission: to publish the works of regional small-town authors instead of those of big-city authors. Just last year, 90 percent of the novels we published were written by authors who maintain a residence in a big city. Although this change must have been intended to increase profits, it has obviously backfired, because Liber is now in serious financial trouble. The only way to address this problem is to return to our original mission. If we return to publishing only the works of regional small-town authors, our financial troubles will soon be resolved." - GRE Argument 83

An editor at Liber Publishing contends here that Liber will become profitable again if and only it returns to its original mission of publishing works primarily by small-town authors. To support this contention the editor cites the fact that since moving away from that mission Liber has become unprofitable. The editor's argument suffers from a series of logical problems, and is therefore wholly unpersuasive.

To begin with, the editor's recommendation depends on the assumption that no factors other than Liber's shift to big-city authors caused Liber's declining profits. However, common s...