The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im

The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants.

"Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."

Write a response in which you discuss one or more alternative explanations that could rival the proposed explanation and explain how your explanation(s) can plausibly account for the facts presented in the argument.

The argument states that Happy Pancake restaurants have replaced butter by margarine throughout the Southwestern United States. It also mentions that this change didn’t affect much on the customers because only 2 percent of them have complained and remaining were happy. The author had drawn a conclusion from the report given by servers that customers didn’t have a clear cut idea about butter and margarine. There are few points in the argument which gives alternative explanations from provided information to rival the proposed explanation. First point is replacement of butter by margarine; second point is limit impact on customers and third point is customers didn’t distinguish butter from margarine.

Firstly, Happy Pancake House restaurants replaced butter by margarine is because margarine could have got more proteins , minerals, vitamins and less cholesterol than butter or it could be that they want to introduce a new taste to their customer; to improve their revenue and popularity.

Secondly, arguer mentioned that only 2 percent of them have complained on this change; because the change may distaste to them or the customers like butter than margarine. Few people are too specific about their needs and food. So it could a reason for the complaint.

Last but not the least, author mentioned in the conclusion of the argument that an average of 98 people out of 100 didn’t distinguish butter from margarine and they were happy. The reason could be that they knew that margarine is healthier than butter or they may like the taste of margarine than butter.

In conclusion, I would say that premises and assumptions made by the author are poor in content to support his argument. If the author mentioned above explanations in the argument then argument would have sound better and efficient.

Need more arguments.