The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants."Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little im

The following memorandum is from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurants.
"Recently, butter has been replaced by margarine in Happy Pancake House restaurants throughout the southwestern United States. This change, however, has had little impact on our customers. In fact, only about 2 percent of customers have complained, indicating that an average of 98 people out of 100 are happy with the change. Furthermore, many servers have reported that a number of customers who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead. Clearly, either these customers do not distinguish butter from margarine or they use the term 'butter' to refer to either butter or margarine."

Author has mentioned a memorandum from the business manager of Happy Pancake House restaurant. It is talking about the replacement of the butter with margarine. There are main two points are discussed here. One is effect of replacing the butter with margarine to the customer and another one is customers power of distinguishing the butter and margarine.

Here it is stated that two percent of the customers have complained and other 98 percent of the customer are satisfied. But one thing is that it is not necessary that all the customer who are not satisfied with the change make the complain. Some customer may be unhappy with the change but they avoided making complain.
Some of the customer coming first time may think that the quality of the butter in Happy Pancake House restaurant is of such a bad only so deciding not to visit the restaurant again they left the restaurant. So such people may be out of count causing the result wrong that 2 percent customer unsatisfied.

Then author is adding the comment from servers that a number of customer who ask for butter do not complain when they are given margarine instead butter. But it doesn’t mean that customer can not distinguish the different between butter and margarine. As people are using butter very often so at least some of the customer would surely distinguish the difference between both. It might that customer don’t like arguing and making issue so they might not have complained.

In the last paragraph author is criticizing the distinguishing power of customer. Author us saying that either they could not distinguish both or they refer margarine and butter as the same think. To decide in better way one has taken review from each of the customer and analyzing the reason could have stated that whether they are satisfied with the change or not.

Reporting from the server may be false and they might have said such a comment for their personal benefit or due to some other issue. So as it states, author arguments are not compelling. To strengthen the argument manager needs to take the review and can also put feedback form for their experience in the restaurant. Such a result can let manager to decide whether customer are satisfied or not. So based on the arguments given in the main paragraph one cannot say any thing about customer distinguishing power or their satisfaction regarding the replacement of butter with margarine.