The following is a recommendation from the director of personnel to the president of Professional Printing Company. "In a recent telephone survey of automobile factory workers, older employees were less likely to report that having a supervisor present in

The following is a recommendation from the director of personnel to the president of Professional Printing Company.

"In a recent telephone survey of automobile factory workers, older employees were less likely to report that having a supervisor present increases their productivity. Among workers aged 18 to 29, 27 percent said that they are more productive in the presence of their immediate supervisor, compared to 12 percent for those aged 30 or over, and only 8 percent for those aged 50 or over. Clearly, if our printing company hires mainly older employees, we will increase productivity and save money because of the reduced need for supervisors." - GRE Argument 74

In this argument the personnel director of Professional Printing Company (PPC) recommends hiring older workers in order to increase productivity, as well as to save money by reducing costs of supervision. To support this recommendation, the director cites an auto-industry telephone survey ostensibly showing that older workers are generally less productive under close supervision than otherwise, whereas younger workers are generally more productive under close supervision than otherwise. This argument is flawed in several critical respects.

A threshold problem with the argument involves the...