The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company."According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any

The following is taken from a memo from the advertising director of the Super Screen Movie Production Company.

"According to a recent report from our marketing department, during the past year, fewer people attended Super Screen-produced movies than in any other year. And yet the percentage of positive reviews by movie reviewers about specific Super Screen movies actually increased during the past year. Clearly, the contents of these reviews are not reaching enough of our prospective viewers. Thus, the problem lies not with the quality of our movies but with the public's lack of awareness that movies of good quality are available. Super Screen should therefore allocate a greater share of its budget next year to reaching the public through advertising."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the recommendation and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the recommendation.

The memo enumerates that despite the increasing number of rave reviews by movie reviewers, the number of attendees of Super Screen produced movies are on the decline. The memo concludes that this is due to the lack of public awareness and suggests that increasing the budget for advertising can reverse the trend.

The argument though has a few flaws. Firstly it states that there is a decline of number of people attending the Super Screen produced movies. It does not, however, mention the other sources through which a viewer can watch movies. It does not note the effect of the modern filmology where there are varied sources where people can watch a movie. Also it does not take into account the condition of the Super Screen theaters, which might have also been the reason for the declining trend.

Secondly, the memo elucidates that the increase in the number of positive reviews for the movies does not reach the attention of the viewers. It does not however take into account the genre of the movies being screened. The movies screened might be appreciate by a select few, however well made the movie is. These movies might not have met the tastes of the greater part of the population. It is plausible that viewers might not have found real interest in these movies.

Next the director does not think the timing of the movie releases can affect the number of viewers for movies. The movies might have been released at a time when most of them do not have the inclination or interest to do so. Often the blockbuster movies coincide with the holiday seasons or the festive seasons. Also the timing of the screening of the movies might have coincided with some calamity or the other. The director however makes no mention of it.

Finally the memo have suggested that the advertising budget be increased that would spread the movies to a larger audience and thus attract more viewers. The argument however does not necessary hold as advertising is not the only means by which viewers tend to know about the movies. There are at times such ads can actually drive away potential viewers. It makes no claim that other means of spread of information can help attract viewers.

The director could have strengthened the case by collecting feedback from the viewers. The director could also have talked in general about the genre of the movies that are released. As it stands, though, the memo has its share of pitfalls and argument made by the director does not hold completely.