"The following was used as part of an internet advertising company's appeal to businesses: Furniture Depot employed our internet advertising company to help. Since then its sales increased by 10% over last year's totals. Furniture Depot's success demonstr

"The following was used as part of an internet advertising company's appeal to businesses: Furniture Depot employed our internet advertising company to help. Since then its sales increased by 10% over last year's totals. Furniture Depot's success demonstrates how using our internet services can increase your profitability. "

Describe how well reasoned you find this argument. In the discussion be sure to analyze the line of reasoning and the use of evidence in the argument. For example, you may need to consider what questionable assumptions underlie the thinking and what alternative explanations or counterexamples might weaken the argument's conclusion. You may also address possible changes in the argument that would make it more logically sound, and what, if anything, would help you better evaluate its conclusion.

Though it may be true that the internet advertisements used by Furniture Depot proved beneficial for its business, the above appeal may fail to attract many customers, since it is a poorly reasoned argument, abundant in assumptions and unsubstantiated statements.

The marketing feature released by the internet company claims to have fostered the ten percent increase in profits for Furniture Depot, but this claim lacks any evident factual backing by a recognized authority. Since it is common for companies to exaggerate the efficiency of their product or service, a testimony by Furniture Depot supporting the same would have made the argument stronger.

Regardless of whether the figures presented by the internet company were true, no evidence is provided to support the fact that the increase in profit was due to the internet advertisements used by the furniture company. The increase in profits does not necessarily imply that the purchases or customers increased in number. The furniture showroom could have resorted to better business models and sales strategies, offering discounts, procuring the goods from a different vendor, thereby, cuttings down on the costs or providing value added services.

An increase in the number of customers could have been due a better state of the economy, an increase in purchasing power, or simply because furniture that was popular was introduced for sale in the furniture shop. A question worth asking would be, how many of the customers who made purchases in the shop in the previous year, were attracted towards furniture Depot due to the advertisements. Only a survey among the customers would help us to determine the extent to which this claim is true.

Also, internet advertisements might be a wise choice to popularize brands or businesses like Furniture Depot, but may fail miserably in marketing other businesses. The mode of marketing is specific to the customers it aims to attract. While a customer would decide to buy moderately valuable products like books, apparel and furniture based on internet advertisements, he or she would not trust the same in deciding to buy an expensive gold ornament. A personal testimonial by a friend or family member will only prove worthy.

To sum up, the appeal will fail to impress a reader, unless it is restructured to fix the flaws in logic and made to provide factual support.