The following was written as a part of an application for a small-business loan by a group of developers in the city of Monroe."Jazz music is extremely popular in the city of Monroe: over 100,000 people attended Monroe's annual jazz festival last summer,

The following was written as a part of an application for a small-business loan by a group of developers in the city of Monroe.

"Jazz music is extremely popular in the city of Monroe: over 100,000 people attended Monroe's annual jazz festival last summer, and the highest-rated radio program in Monroe is 'Jazz Nightly,' which airs every weeknight. Also, a number of well-known jazz musicians own homes in Monroe. Nevertheless, the nearest jazz club is over an hour away. Given the popularity of jazz in Monroe and a recent nationwide study indicating that the typical jazz fan spends close to $1,000 per year on jazz entertainment, we predict that our new jazz music club in Monroe will be a tremendously profitable enterprise."

Write a response in which you discuss what questions would need to be answered in order to decide whether the prediction and the argument on which it is based are reasonable. Be sure to explain how the answers to these questions would help to evaluate the prediction.

Though it is possible that establishing a jazz club in the city of Monroe might turn to be a highly profitable enterprise, the argument put forward by the group of business enthusiasts is rife with holes and assumptions. Thus, the application may fail to impress the lending agency.

To give an estimate of the enthusiasm for jazz music among the residents of Monroe, the application states that over 10000 people attended the city’s annual jazz festival the previous year. A question worth asking would be how many among the 10000 visitors belonged to Monroe. Being an annual jazz festival the ...