Governments should invest as much in the arts as they do in the military Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the recommendation and explain your reasoning for the position you take In developing and support

The recommendation asserts that government should invest as much as in arts as they do in the military. This is a complex issue with disparate opinions. In my opinion, I believe that governments if not equal amount then atleast close to the amount invested in military should also invest in the arts. I believe this will have consequential results for the betterment of country for three reasons.

First of all, investing in the arts means investing in the people of the country. Investing in the arts will result in direct upliftment of the skilled labour working in craft and different forms of arts. To illustrate this viewpoint, in India, there are lot of people who work with jute and create various products out of jute but their sales have considerably declined in the current market. Not just jute workers, but there are hundereds of other 'artists' in India, who are unable to provide their products in the correct market at correct price and are thus declining. The art of handiwork on clothes, pottery, madhubani art are just few examples which are declining in the market because of lack of support and increased competition from other entrants in the market who provide cheaper products made in factories. This example brings an important point to notice where the government can help in upliftment of these workers. By investing and promoting the work of these artists and by providing them a platform, for example exhibitions, to sell their work.

Secondly, investing in arts directly translates into investing in the culture and traditions of the country. Art is a reflection of creativity of people, culture and traditions of the country. If the governments invests only in the military and not as much in the arts then what about the daily lives of the normal citizens of the country. As much, it is important to invest in military to keep the people safe it is important to invest in the arts for the betterment of life of the people. Art is what brings colour in one's life and governments should do what it can to promote that in it's country. This will further result in increased Gross Domestic Product (GDP) for the country as 'artists' begin to contribute more and the government can further export it's art to other countries.

Lastly, as much as it is important to invest both in arts and the military, it can be difficult to say whether the government should invest the equal amount in both. It depends entirely on each nation and the need of the hour of the country. Some military equipments are expensive and considering a country needs a strong defence in place for crisis, it should not hesitate in investing that. If in such times the government decides to not invest in military rather in arts would not be a wise decision, as the safety of the citizens comes first.

In conclusion, the recommendation is a complex issue which depends from time to time and country to country. However, a government should not entirely ignore the arts and spend all the money in investments in the military. It should think about upliftment of both and should invest in arts a fair amount, if not equal to military, as it will have returns.